Paying Reparations Not Best Solution for Fixing America's Past Errors

This is in regard to the article by Tiffanie Drayton titled, "Millions for Slave Reparations, Not a Cent for Media Support." Maybe the reason for the lack of media coverage on the Millions for Reparations rally is because the media, along with the majority of the public, realize slave reparations is a ludicrous idea.

The Japanese, Jews and American Indians have received reparations because they personally have lost their homes, money, etc. The idea behind reparations is compensation for being directly wronged.

The notion that reparations should be paid for slavery 137 years after the fact is ridiculous. Greeks, Romans, Russians and most Europeans have been enslaved at some point in history. Why not give reparations to their descendants as well?

Being able to trace an ancestor back to slavery is a ridiculous reason to demand reparations as well. The question being in what way have you suffered for your ancestors' being enslaved?

Much of my family either died in Nazi concentration camps or lost everything to them, and that was only 50 years ago. Just because my grandmother was devastated by the Nazis does not mean I have the right to demand the German government pay me.

Yes, slavery was a horrible thing, but there is no way a government can repay everyone they have wronged in the past. Besides, money isn't the answer and will in no way help something that happened over 137 years ago.

The thing that should be done is to educate people so nothing like slavery can ever happen again.

Rebecca Hill
Junior
Biolog