Prized N.C. State Frosh To Miss Entire Season

A.J. Davis breaks leg during practice.

The highly touted newcomer will have surgery next week and be sidelined at least two months before beginning rehabilitation, Wolfpack coach Chuck Amato told reporters Thursday.

Davis broke the bone just above his left ankle while trying to make a tackle.

"You can't say it was a disappointment because it's football," Davis told The (Raleigh) News & Observer. "Things like this happen. I could see if it was my senior year, it would be a disappointment. But it's just my freshman year.

"It wasn't a life-ending injury or anything. It could have been worse."

The 5-foot-10, 171-pound Davis was rated the nation's best prep cornerback by one recruiting service when he starred in football and track at Northern Durham High. He holds the state 4-A high school record in the long jump and was the state indoor champion in the long and triple jumps.

His recruitment began a small war of words between UNC coach John Bunting and Amato, who told media on national signing day of how he crooned Italian love songs to Davis to get him to go to State.

Davis had impressed Wolfpack coaches in preseason practices, and he was listed as the backup at right corner.

State had shifted cornerback Greg Golden to tailback in preseason drills because of Davis' early play, and Amato also had indicated that Davis might return kickoffs and punts.

Davis was expected to compete on State's track team this year, but he said he was unsure whether he would be healthy enough.

"We hate it for him because he is a very, very talented individual," Amato said. "Maybe he can spend the year ... getting his academics in line and get a good start academically."

Maryland Scrimmage Showcases QBs

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Quarterbacks Scott McBrien and Chris Kelley combined to complete 19 of 29 passes for 245 yards and two touchdowns to highlight Maryland's first scrimmage of fall camp Saturday evening.

McBrien was 10-of-16 for 142 yards and one touchdown while Kelley completed nine of 13 passes for 103 yards and one score. Kelley also led all ballcarriers with 34 yards on four carries.

"I think we got out of this scrimmage just what we wanted," said second-year Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen. "We went a little longer than I wanted, but I'm trying to give these quarterbacks as much experience as they can get, yet holding my breath hoping we wouldn't get anybody hurt."

Florida State Tunes Up Before Opener

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The No. 3 Florida State Seminoles held their third and final scrimmage of preseason practice Friday night at Doak Campbell Stadium.

Senior Talman Gardner, who has been the leading receiver in each of the three scrimmages, had three catches for 90 yards and a touchdown. Chris Rix worked the entire half as the starter at quarterback, completing 8-of-17 passes for 149 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

The regular scrimmage lasted for a half as the coaches switched to situational work on a running clock in the second half. FSU travels to Kansas City Thursday for an August 24th contest against Iowa State in the Eddie Robinson Classic.

"The big thing I see is that we're not sharp," said FSU coach Bobby Bowden. "We've got seven more days to get this thing sharpened up and I sure hope we can do it. We went down there (red-zone) too many times and only came up with three. This will give us a chance to go back and grade the film and straighten out the ones who aren't doing the right thing."