Public Service Center Hosts Interest Open House

The Carolina Center for Public Service is holding an open house today from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., and the organization's leader said she hopes the event will educate more people about the group's mission.

"It's a wonderful opportunity," said CCPS Director Lynn Blanchard. "We'd like to remind everybody that the center is here to support the service of students, faculty and staff."

People are encouraged to drop into Suite 201 of the Bank of America Center on Franklin Street and peruse the event's various features, Blanchard said. "It will be very informal."

One of the afternoon's highlights will be the preview of the center's new public service database, which is slated to debut this fall. Five or six computers will be set up at the open house to showcase the database prototype. When the project is finished, it will be a comprehensive resource for documenting as many internships and service projects as possible, Blanchard said.

The CCPS is a UNC organization that works as a liaison between those who need information about public service and projects affiliated with the University.

"I've been very impressed by the support of both the Carolina administration and the enthusiasm and commitment of the student organizations," said Blanchard, who took the helm at the CCPS in January.

Blanchard said she would like today's open house to expose people who aren't normally involved in public service to ongoing and potential opportunities.

The organization got a head start this summer during UNC's C-TOPS orientation, where Blanchard said she approached more than 1,000 students about the group. "One of the things they said was that they wished they had known sooner."