Reading Lawsuit Status Uncertain

Both sides say the case will proceed slowly

American Family Association Center for Law and Policy officials confirmed Friday that they will continue to pursue a lawsuit against the University for requiring the reading of a book about Islam despite the fact that the discussion sections in contention took place Aug. 19.

"We plan to proceed," said Michael DePrimo, attorney for the AFA. "That has always been our intention."

But Joe Glover, the spokesman for the Family Policy Network, says plans are not so concrete. Glover said the future of the lawsuit is still undecided and could change.

"Is it alive in the sense it is still in court and alive in the sense that there are still issues with the First Amendment? Yes," he said. "But nothing is etched in stone."

Glover is not part of the lawsuit, although two FPN members are listed as plaintiffs.

DePrimo said the case will resume after the appeal for temporary relief is dismissed from the 4th U.S. Circuit Court in Richmond, Va.

The Richmond judge upheld Aug. 19 a lower court ruling, refusing to allow an injunction blocking the same day's discussion sections.

The case will go back to federal district court in Greensboro, where a judge must first rule on whether to allow taxpayers to serve as plaintiffs. The judge reserved ruling last time.

The two taxpayers in question joined the lawsuit with three unnamed freshmen suing the University over its required reading of "Approaching the Qur'