Red Light Cameras Make Sense

You're driving down Franklin Street, approaching a green traffic light, when suddenly, it turns yellow.

Your pulse quickens, your palms are sweaty on the wheel. The moment of truth. Do you floor it and pray you make it through without hitting unsuspecting cars (or pedestrians) crossing the intersection? Or do you slam on your brake, risking a rear-end collision with the shocked car behind you?

This is one of the many dilemmas drivers face on the road -- to speed up or to stop when faced with that ominous yellow light. But soon, Chapel Hill officials might make the decision a little easier for local drivers.

If you are one of the people who (admittedly, like myself) find yourself reaching incredible speeds while trying to beat the red light, don't be surprised if you receive a $50 ticket in the mail soon after the incident. No points will be added to your license, just a one-time fine must be paid.

Members of the Chapel Hill Town Council voted this summer 6-3 to continue negotiations that could result in the installation of red light cameras at 10 intersections in the area to catch drivers who run through the traffic lights. A private Texas-based company will set up the cameras, which could be tested as early as January 2003.

The decision, however, was met with considerable opposition from residents. Arguments have been raised that constant surveillance is a violation of basic civil rights or that cameras would be used only to generate town profits.

But even as an occasional red light runner, I find it hard to deny the practicality of the cameras. Fining drivers who break the rules of the road is not a new concept. Nor is surveillance a new concept -- cameras are in gas stations, toll booths and even dressing rooms to make sure we aren't breaking the law.

This is an issue of safety, and red light cameras will serve an even better purpose than cameras that make sure you aren't stealing a few gallons of gas. We're talking about preventing accidents. Saving lives, even. What is the problem?

Unfortunately, the issue isn't quite so cut and dry. While red light cameras are a good idea, there are some technicalities that the town needs to consider before installation.

First, Chapel Hill officials need to ensure there is sufficient yellow light time for drivers facing the "yellow light dilemma" to make a reasonable decision. Short yellow light times could cause more accidents when drivers slam on their brakes in fear of being caught on camera running a red.

Chapel Hill Traffic Engineer Kumar Neppalli said the chosen intersections will be improved before the cameras are installed. This way, drivers will have sufficient time to safely clear the intersection without having to speed up if the light turns yellow as they approach. Only then would the cameras be most effective in catching genuine traffic offenders, not just drivers caught in the intersection after an insufficient yellow light.

Second, the town will have the final say in distribution of traffic citations, not the private company. Each citation will be reviewed by the town before it is sent to the motorist. Because the town isn't receiving the majority of the profit from the citation, it is not motivated by money, but safety.

The most important issue, however, is that drivers need to be able to defend themselves when faced with a traffic fine. The cameras obviously do not allow for individual situation interpretation normally provided by police.

But the citation will include the picture of the motorist's license plate, so motorists can verify their cars. Several color pictures of the incident are available to cited motorists on demand, and individual oppositions can be appealed within 30 days. If the motorists feel they have been wrongly accused, they will have the right to defend themselves in an administrative hearing process.

The town wants to prevent collisions and will force the motorists who break the law pay. Sound unreasonable? Not really. You do the crime, you pay the fine, so to speak.

It makes sense to me -- if faced with the option of getting a $50 ticket in the mail or slowing down when that light turns yellow, I'd slow down.

Wouldn't you?

Carolyn Pearce can be reached at cpearce@email.unc.edu.