State Lottery Issue On Hold, Not Forgotten

In early July it seemed probable that the N.C. House would vote on whether to schedule an advisory referendum for the lottery. But the issue was never brought to the floor, and now budget concerns have overshadowed the lottery issue.

Danny Lineberry, press secretary for House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, said Black chose not to bring the lottery issue to the floor in July because he wanted to focus on the budget.

He added that Black still considers it an important issue. "Speaker Black says he will have a vote on it before session ends."

But some state legislators do not expect to consider a lottery this session.

Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange, said he does not think the House will vote the lottery out, meaning the issue will not get resolved. "It is not likely," he said. "It's pretty much dead this session."

Gov. Mike Easley supports a state lottery to help fund education programs, such as Smart Start and More at Four.

He also put $250 million in hypothetical lottery revenues in a budget proposal for the 2002-03 fiscal year that would be possible only if a lottery was successfully implemented and running in North Carolina by January 2003.

Popular support for a lottery among state residents is also evident in the amount of North Carolinians who travel across to border states to play the lottery. Virginia, Georgia and South Carolina all have state lotteries.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.