UNC: No Web Security Changes Needed

Officials say University's site is more secure.

In July, Yale administrators contacted Shirley Tilghman, president of Princeton University, concerning numerous occasions in April when Princeton admissions office computers were used to gain access to applicant information -- including admission status -- on the Yale Web site.

To gain access to the applicant information part of Yale's Web site, a name, Social Security number and birth date were needed -- all information required on the Princeton admissions applications.

In a statement made Aug. 13, Tilghman said Stephen LeMenager, Princeton associate dean and director of admission, had accessed Yale's Web site in order to find the admission status of students who applied to both universities.

Yale administrators informed the U.S. attorney's office in Connecticut of their findings.

UNC's admissions Web site is similar to that of Yale's, causing admissions officers to question the security of applicants' information.

"It's a wake-up call," said Jerry Lucido, UNC director for undergraduate admissions.

"We have to be on our guard at all times."

But he said the admission portion of UNC's Web site is more secure than Yale's was. It requires not only Social Security numbers and personal identification numbers but also requires a password specified by the applicants themselves.

All prospective students have a personalized Web page to inform them of the University's decision.

"You'd have to be an expert hacker to get into our system," Lucido said. "We feel good about it."

Since the investigation into the incident was concluded, LeMenager has been asked to leave the admission office, where he served the university for 20 years.

Princeton University Dean of Admission Fred Hargadon took full responsibility for LeMenager's actions and has "pledged to do everything he can this coming year to restore the integrity of the admissions office and the confidence of applicants that their privacy and confidentiality will be protected," the Tilghman statement read.

Hargadon will retire next June.

"Princeton's president has made a strong statement for ethics," Lucido said.

"These are two individuals who have been very, very good. I don't know if an error in judgement should cost you your job every time."

But Lucido added that this is not an occurrence to be taken lightly.

"It's clearly not a proud chapter in the history of admissions counseling," he said.

"It's our responsibility to keep that material and our decision confidential."

Yale President Richard Levin said in a statement that he was satisfied with the way Tilghman handled the matter.

"I am impressed by the thoroughness of Princeton's internal investigation and confident that all concerned now recognize the importance of protecting the privacy of college applicants," he said.

New safety precautions will be in effect when Yale's admissions Web site opens again in April 2003, said Thomas Conroy, deputy director of public affairs for Yale.

Conroy said Yale has not decided what the specific precautions will be.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.