UNC Recycling Program Looks for Attention

*This article has been corrected

The UNC Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling took to the Pit recently in an effort to raise campus awareness and encourage participation in its programs.

The office is in the midst of a promotional campaign that aims to spread the word concerning the University's new recycling plan.

Education and Outreach Coordinator Matt Todd said the basic purpose of the new plan is to catch students' attention and make recycling as convenient as possible for students, faculty and staff.

"The new recycling plan has brought many of the University's recycling bins indoors to maximize the convenience for everyone," Todd said.

He also said many bins would receive new, updated labels intended to catch the eye of would-be recyclers. Todd said many of the old fiber bins would be replaced with newer, more durable models.

Another key to the recycling plan involves the Internet.

"We are in the process of updating our online database so that each one of the recycling bins on campus will be documented online," Todd said. He said there are about 1,500 recycling bins on campus, 105 recycling sites outside campus buildings and 15 sites along campus walkways.

Todd said that, overall, UNC does an outstanding job with recycling.

"Nationally, the recycling rate is 25 percent," he said. "UNC's had a 35 percent recycling rate last year."

That rate equates to just more than 3,200 tons of recycled material in the past year on campus.

Todd also pointed out that Orange County has set a goal of a 45 percent recycling rate. That goal then jumps to 60 percent by 2006-07.

Todd said that although he is happy that the University operates above the national recycling average, there is still more work ahead.

"We can increase the rate every year by adding new programs and improving awareness," he said.

The waste reduction and recycling office was established in 1989 to ensure that solid waste on the UNC campus was reduced, reused and recycled.

In the past, the office has sponsored the Green Games, a springtime event promoting the environment, along with many department programs and presentations.

"We have administrative contacts in every building," Todd said. "We're making a good effort, and taking a well-rounded approach to the issue."

The Aug. 30 article "UNC Recycling Program Looks for Attention" incorrectly reported that the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling has 15,000 recycling bins located in campus buildings. The office has 1,500 bins.

The article also failed to mention that there are 105 recycling sites outside campus buildings, in addition to 15 sites along campus walkways.

The article also incorrectly stated that more than 2,900 tons of material were recycled in the past year. The correct figure is 3,200 tons.

The Daily Tar Heel regrets the errors.