UNC Thrower Racks Up National Titles

Laura Gerraughty places 1st in 2 events.

In July Gerraughty traveled to Kingston, Jamaica to compete in the junior world championships. The sophomore came out strong in the qualifying match -- the first qualifier she had ever participated in -- and threw the second best distance at 56 feet, and a 1/2 inch.

But during the finals, Gerraughty said her focus faltered, and she threw 54 feet, 6 and 1/4 inches to finish in third place.

"I knew I could make the qualifying mark, so I guess I was more relaxed, and I threw well," Gerraughty said. "But the night of the actual trials, I knew I had to throw well, and I put more pressure on myself. My mind was jumping. I'm happy I medaled, but I wish it could have been a different color."

Gerraughty has good reason to expect a lot of herself. She finished last outdoor track season with ACC Rookie of the Year honors, and took the junior national field of competition by storm this summer. At the USA Track and Field Championship in June, Gerraughty captured first place in shot put and hammer throw, setting a new school record in the latter with a throw of 200 feet, 2 inches.

These accomplishments came less a year after Gerraughty changed her throwing style in shot put and sat out the indoor season with a knee injury.

Last December, she switched from gliding before releasing her throw to spinning, a technique that complements her 5-foot-9 build.

"The spin helps me get more speed," Gerraughty said. "I had a lot of trouble switching at first. I had it in my head, but I couldn't make my body do it."

After many spins at practice, in her room, and in her residence hall, Gerraughty gradually felt more comfortable and improved her distance by six inches. In the midst of her training, an old gymnastics knee injury flared up, forcing Gerraughty to redshirt the indoor season.

But now, having turned 19 in July -- the age limit for competitors on the junior national circuit -- Gerraughty is looking to gain experience to prepare her for higher levels of competition.

"I'd like to make the next step to regular open competition," Gerraughty said. "I've done well in junior and high school competition, and it's time for me to set my sights a little higher and get used to competing in bigger meets.

"I'm kind of stradling levels right now," she added. "I'm still a little overwhelmed on the regular national scale, but in the juniors, there's just not a whole lot of competition. It's time for me to move on."

And although she wasn't satisfied with her finish in world championships, Gerraughty will use that as a motivational tool.

"That slight disappointment is what drives me to keep training," Gerraughty said.

That's one area Gerraughty hasn't had any trouble concentrating on. Even in a hot vacation spot like Jamaica, she refrained from island excursions and rested her body for competition.

"She's driven to be the best," said UNC assistant coach Brian Blutreich. "A lot of people can say that they want to be the best, but she puts the talent and her work ethic together. That's what makes her really good."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.