Wake Forest Aims to Catapult Team With Last Year's Success

Last season, the Demon Deacons went from 2-9 to 6-5, playing in 10 games that were decided by seven points or less. They won once by more than seven points.

"We had to fight and scratch and claw for everything we got," Grobe said.

And things don't look to be any easier this year. Wake lost six starters at key positions on both sides of the ball.

Two members of the offensive line are gone -- center Vince Azzolina, a three-year starter, and guard Michael Collins, a first-team all-ACC selection last year.

Grobe has shifted some players around to compensate for the losses. Senior Tyson Clabo has moved inside to guard from tackle, and junior Mark Moroz switched from tight end to tackle.

On the defensive side, the Deacs return linebacker Kellen Brantley and defensive end Calvin Pace. Brantley recorded 95 tackles, while Pace recorded 10 sacks, putting him 10 away from the school career record of 30.

The Deacs hit a snag in what was a gelled unit of running backs. Senior Tarence Williams, a 1,000-yard rusher last year and a Doak Walker candidate this coming season, broke a bone in his foot this summer and could be out until mid-September. Junior Fred Staton, Wake's second-leading rusher in 2001, was ruled academically ineligible for this season.

"Our stable of running backs has shrunk," Grobe said. "We're counting on (Nick Burney) stepping up and Tarence working hard to get back on the field as soon as possible."