Academics Attack Iraq Policy

UNC professors debate merits, consequences of Bush's push for war in Middle East.

The UNC General Alumni Association and the curriculum in peace, war and defense sponsored the forum, titled "Should the United States Attack Iraq?" A panel of eight UNC professors voiced opinions from different perspectives, but the general sentiment was against a war on Iraq.

History Professor Richard Kohn served as the moderator.

"The panelists had varying perspectives and disciplines," Kohn said after the forum. "Overall, they expressed deep skepticism of whether it is in the national interest of the United States to engage in a pre-emptive war against Iraq without congressional and (United Nations) sanction."

Kohn also remarked on the imminence of war with Iraq as the United States tries to build support at the United Nations and in Congress for possible military action. "We are coming to a decision (on Iraq) in the next 10 days to two weeks," Kohn said. "Under any circumstance, this is a historic decision."

The panelists presented different perspectives, ranging from the legality of war to the implications in the Muslim world.

Focusing on a moral and ethical perspective, philosophy Professor Douglas MacLean said there should be convincing evidence before the nation engages in war. "In the justification of a pre-emptive strike, the threshold must be high and the evidence must be strong," he said. "Many people doubt this has been met."

History Professor Sarah Shields, who received applause for several of her comments, focused on the implications for Iraq.

"Will the U.S. become a welcome liberator? Absolutely not," Shields said. "Anti-American sentiment will grow because people are skeptical."

Doug Dibbert, president of the GAA, organized the discussion forum.

"It is important to get varying perspectives and a range of opinions," Dibbert said. "It is not important that we agree. It is important that we consider the seriousness of these issues. That is what an academic environment can provide."

Junior Paul Cox said he thought the panelists offered only one side of the issue.

"I thought that of all forums, this would be more balanced," Cox said. "The fact that it wasn't proves there is a universal rejection of the idea of unilateral action against Iraq among academia."

But graduate student Kirstin Alvanitakis was pleased with the forum.

"It was reassuring to know faculty are in agreement that unilateral action is wrong but a stamp of approval from the U.N. would be OK," Alvanitakis said. "The turnout was encouraging. There were a lot of students as well as local residents, assuring that this is a politically active community."