Chancellor Outlines Vision Of Moral, Academic Leadership

Through terrorist attacks, budget crises and summer reading controversy, the University stood strong.

Click here to read the full text of Chancellor James Moeser's State of the Union Address

The atmosphere was all too familiar, the message echoing sentiments articulated from behind the same podium one year ago.

Addressing a standing-room-only crowd in the Great Hall on Tuesday, Chancellor James Moeser made clear that UNC's ultimate mission -- and his vision -- remain the same despite changing circumstances and evolving issues.

During his nearly hourlong State of the University Address, Moeser framed his vision in the context of events that have unfolded since his first address -- and a lot has happened in that time.

The chancellor recapped the moments that have defined UNC in the past year -- from the Sept. 11 attacks to the state's budget crisis to the controversial summer reading program.

It is how the University has handled those issues that sets the tone for the coming year, Moeser said.

"In the past 12 months, UNC has shown the world what it is to be a great, free, American public university," he said. "Last year, I had no idea when I said we should be a university with the courage of our convictions that we would be tested within the year."

Moeser didn't hesitate to cite the University's summer reading selection as an example of what he said makes UNC a leading public university.

"I am proud of Carolina for the courage to choose a book for the purpose of helping our students understand the complex and often contradictory forces that shape our world," he said. "We should extend our understanding to those who disagree with us."

Although the University has emerged successfully from its recent trials, other challenges still linger into the new year, Moeser said. He specifically noted the state's ongoing budget shortfall and the fact that, as UNC waits for legislators to adopt a spending plan, the University's budget stagnates.

In the meantime, cuts already have been made to the University's operations, Moeser added.

"Those losses meant we had to eliminate positions and people, delay other hiring, defer maintenance, reduce teaching and cut programs," he said.

Moeser stressed that officials are developing ways to cope in the long term. A five-year financial planning committee is working to formulate an efficient strategy for the University, he noted.

"We have a responsibility to manage this University through these difficult times," Moeser said. "Indeed, our biggest challenge today is not to become so totally absorbed in our immediate problems that we lose sight of our long-term vision."

Part of that vision lies in how UNC measures its excellence, Moeser said, and University leaders are looking for ways to quantify what it will take for UNC to lead the nation."I have said many times that our vision is more a journey than a destination -- there is never an end-point in the quest for excellence," Moeser said.

Although he stressed the importance of aggressive fund raising and tracking the University's record against its peer institutions, what will ultimately take UNC to the top must happen in the classroom first, he said.

Who is leading the classroom, Moeser said, remains a difficult battle. Poor faculty benefits packages and no pay raises in sight make it difficult for UNC to stay competitive.

"Faculty compensation is an area where UNC has struggled to keep up with," he said. "We will do our part in raising funds and in recommending moderate increases in tuition, but we ... cannot, should not, must not place the full burden of faculty salary increases on our students."

Along with the goal of becoming the nation's leading public university comes the commitment UNC has to the people of North Carolina, Moeser said. That perspective must remain intact as the University's leaders forge ahead with long-term missions. "We can pursue a vision of excellence ... and not lose faith of the people whose university this is, if we maintain that spirit of doing justice, loving kindness, in a spirit of humility," he said.

"Excellence without pretension."