De Niro Saves 'City' From Drowning in Dated Story

"City by the Sea"

3 Stars

Not many actors truly can stand the test of time. Of today's stars, Tom Hanks is at that point -- so are Al Pacino, Meryl Streep, Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts. Ed Norton is on the right track. Near the top of the list, of course, is Robert De Niro.

In the new film "City by the Sea," he plays Vincent La Marca, a New York detective who is assigned to investigate the murder of a small-time dealer from Long Beach. To his dismay, the chief suspect turns out to be his own son Joey (James Franco), whom Vincent left when the boy was four.

Joey has since turned to drugs and is left with only his girlfriend (Eliza Dushku), a son and dreams of a life in Florida keeping him from complete self-destruction.

Meanwhile, Vincent has his own problems -- his unwillingness to come to terms with his past leads him to distance himself from everyone around him, including his girlfriend, Michelle (Frances McDormand). De Niro and McDormand make the growing tension between their characters palpable.

In the presence of such acting heavyweights, relative newcomer Franco holds his own. He projects the right amount of confusion, regret and aimless hope as the lost boy who let drugs change him from a talented quarterback into a murder suspect on the run.

The plot -- which centers on the struggle to bring Joey in unharmed -- isn't anything special. Story-wise, "City by the Sea" feels run-of-the-mill. The filmmakers also take a major misstep by introducing Spyuder (William Forsythe) -- a generic scumbag whose presence is unnecessary. However, the film's more positive aspects become clear as the film progresses.

Thematically, the movie takes a huge bite and manages to chew it fairly well. The story deals with a number of relevant issues -- parents getting divorced, leaving their children, the effect of environment on young people, addiction, responsibility, trust and dealing with the past.

As powerful as these concepts are, the film's greatest strength nevertheless is De Niro. The aging virtuoso has already brought us violent has-been Jake La Motta ("Raging Bull"), mob boss-to-be Vito Corleone ("The Godfather, Part II") and rising avenger Travis Bickle ("Taxi Driver").

Vincent La Marca isn't at their level, but the film's script and situation make the actor work for his salary. "City by the Sea" is worth seeing for him alone.

Come on. It's De Niro.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.