EA Sports to Recruit, Pay UNC Fans

Company to shoot footage for game

Known worldwide for its sports video games, EA Sports will be in Chapel Hill from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. today shooting footage for its upcoming college basketball game, "NCAA March Madness 2003."

Like the recently released "NCAA Football 2003," the opening footage of "NCAA March Madness 2003" will feature fans from across the country yelling EA Sports' slogan: "EA Sports -- It's in the game."

David Sheffer, UNC's EA Sports campus representative, said everyone is welcome to audition for a part in the game's opening sequence.

He said those auditioning are required to say, "March Madness 2003," and then the EA slogan. After that, Sheffer said, they can decide the rest.

"EA's looking for creativity," Sheffer said. "This is a good chance to give exposure to UNC basketball and its fans.

"EA's representatives will tape everyone who comes out," he said. "After that, they'll go back and choose the top few groups to appear in the game."

Sheffer said the top three to four groups will be chosen to appear in the game.

He said campus groups such as the UNC cheerleading team, senior class marshals, the Carolina Athletic Association and Carolina Fever are confirmed to attend and audition this afternoon.

Sheffer said groups of five or fewer will receive $300 per person if chosen to appear in the game. A group or organization of more than five people that appears in the game will receive $1,000 overall.

As EA Sports campus representative, Sheffer said he regularly hosts events showcasing the products. "Currently we're having a Madden (NFL) 2003 tournament every Monday night at Buffalo Wild Wings at 7 p.m.," he said.

Sheffer also said he is in the process of developing a Web site to keep others informed of EA Sports-sponsored events in Chapel Hill.

"NCAA March Madness 2003" is slated to be released in November for the Sony PlayStation 2 video game console, and it might be released later for the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo Gamecube.

Blake Johnson, a sophomore communications major, said he is excited about EA Sports coming to campus.

"Having EA Sports come to Carolina is crucial," Johnson said. "Me and my friend Chad will definitely be there in blue. Those games are awesome."

Officials from EA Sports are visiting nine other campuses around the nation and shooting footage for the game, including a stop in Durham this morning at Duke University. Sheffer urged all who bleed Carolina blue to dress up and show their true school spirit.

"We can definitely do better than Duke," he said.