Education Focus of Hispanic Month

The period began Sunday and runs to Oct. 15 and has been recognized by President Bush and Gov. Mike Easley.

Mary Lindsley, cultural program coordinator for El Pueblo Inc., a Raleigh-based Hispanic advocacy organization, said La Fiesta del Pueblo, an annual two-day event in Chapel Hill, effectively kicked off the month of celebration the first weekend of September.

"The fiesta is all about cross-cultural sharing," Lindsley said.

"You kind of take it back to the community."

She said the increased visibility of events like La Fiesta del Pueblo goes hand in hand with rising numbers of Hispanics living in the state.

"It does reflect a large growth ... and a strong strength in the community," she said.

Mariarosa Rangel, ESL coordinator for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, said the N.C. Department of Public Instruction will distribute information to Hispanic parents and students this month encouraging middle and high schoolers to stay in school.

Rangel said that the Hispanic dropout rate is constantly escalating and that work must be done to combat this shift.

"Everyday it's growing," she said. "We definitely want (them) to stay in school."

She said Hispanic parents often feel intimidated dealing with teachers and administrators.

"One of the main goals is to make sure teachers are aware Hispanics are our future," she said.

She said DPI and the N.C. Society of Hispanic Professionals have designed a plan to decrease the dropout rate by encouraging students to continue their education and build their self-esteem.

"For a long time, information was one of the elements that was missing," she said.

Nolo Martinez, director of Hispanic affairs for the governor, said he predicts that the state Hispanic dropout rate is somewhere between 20 percent and 40 percent.

"That happens to be one of the problems affecting the Hispanic population," Martinez said.

He said N.C. First Lady Mary Easley has spearheaded a campaign to educate Hispanics on child immunization -- another program designed to educate the demographic.

Martinez said the month -- which includes the dates of independence for many Latin American countries -- allows for both reflection and forward motion as Hispanics prepare for the future.

"There's many things we have to celebrate, learn, as well as be prepared for," he said.

Katie Pomerans, one of the founders of El Pueblo, said the month allows for cultural exposure.

"This is an opportunity for people to remember their heritage ... and share it with the community."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.