Events Planned for Family Weekend

Today

Dubbed as the day for families, today hosts a number of activities designed to acclimate parents to campus life. The weekend begins at the Friday Center, located off N.C. 54, where registered families can pick up weekend schedules and event tickets. Free parking is available, and registered families with Carolina Family Weekend nametags can hop on a free shuttle to campus.

Once on campus, family members can participate in a number of activities to familiarize themselves with the bustling University -- starting with the Student Union, a central hub of activity on campus. The Union and its new 40,000-square-foot addition will be open for self-guided tours.

From noon until 4:45 p.m., representatives at the Visitors Center will be offering "walkmen" with recorded historic tours of campus. The recording will give a 45-minute introductory tour of UNC's storied campus.

For sit-down entertainment, families can stop by Hill Hall for the Spectrum of Music Concert, a showcase of performance groups such as the jazz band, symphony band and the Carolina Choir.

In the meantime, campus buildings and centers -- from the Morehead Planetarium to the Ackland Art Museum to the Kenan-Flagler School of Business -- will be open for exploration.

The evening will wrap up with $2 movies in the Union -- "The Laramie Project" at 8 p.m. and "Black Hawk Down" at 10 p.m. -- and a presentation of "The Big Funk" by Lab! Theater at 8:15 p.m. in the historic Playmakers Theatre.

Saturday

For UNC's early risers, a fun run will start at the steps of Woollen Gym. But for families just arriving on campus, registration again will be open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Friday Center.

At 9:30 a.m., the Carolina Parents Office will host an information session to update UNC families on the hot topics of campus life. Speakers such as Chancellor James Moeser and Dean Bresciani, interim vice chancellor for student affairs, will address University issues, the Master Plan and how UNC parents are making an impact on the University.

But for students' siblings not interested in University issues, there's fun to be had elsewhere. "Cool Your Heels," a recreation program for kids, will be held on Hooker Field, located off South Road and accessible via shuttle.

For parents eager to understand the many facets of their student's college life -- and those struggling with empty-nest syndrome -- parent seminars will be held from 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at the Friday Center. Topics include advising and career planning, campus recreation and sports, Greek life, parenting from afar and Student Health Services.

Sunday

To wrap up the weekend, a Carolina Family Brunch will be held at the George Watts Hill Alumni Center from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- families must choose one seating time.

The cost is $20 for adults and $12.50 for children 10 years old and younger.

A full schedule of Family Weekend events is available at http://www.parents.unc.edu/famweekend.