Future a Little Brighter With UNC Altruist

But they'd be wrong.

When he's not working as the business manager for STV, acting in one of six television shows, working at the state historic site Bennett Place, or attending class, the junior history major is busy trying to change the world through community service.

Vatavuk is one of 20 finalists for the President's Community Volunteer Award, the most prestigious award given for community service. There are about 3,500 nominations each year for the award, which is only given to one person.

Vatavuk was nominated because he has devoted the past 10 years of his life to helping disadvantaged youth get a second chance through various programs.

"Today's youth are America's future," he said. "They are future members of our democratic system, our future doctors and our future lawyers -- we can't allow them to be future failures."

Vatavuk said his volunteering has allowed him to work with many organizations and reach out to troubled youth.

Currently serving on the 4-H Advisory Board, Vatavuk always has looked for ways to help others. He worked with 4-H to allow Durham youth to have free access to a camp.

"In inner cities, children aren't given many opportunities to see wildlife and enjoy the outdoors," he said. "Spending a day in nature allows them to broaden their horizons."

One instance in high school led Vatavuk to extend his efforts beyond the United States.

In 1998, he organized a relief effort to send items to children in the politically tumultuous Kosovo.

"Although Kosovo's politics were all over the news, what we weren't being told was that thousands of children had nobody to care for them," Vatavuk said. "I wanted to help them, even if in a small way."

He collected more than 100 toys, pairs of eyeglasses, and toiletries -- many purchased out of his own pocket -- and shipped them overseas.

Realizing a further need for support, Vatavuk contacted Bayer, which airlifted more than $300,000 worth of vitamins.

With plans for law school and an interest in politics, he also found a way to apply his love for service to his future goals by participating in the Durham County Teen Court and Restitution Program.

He spent three years as a volunteer attorney, now serves as a mentor and adviser to the court and strongly believes in its cause.

"Offenders sent to teen court are usually assigned community service and some volunteering sessions with the court," he said. "But the great part is that they also learn about the legal system, and the entire experience teaches more of a lesson than a basic court sentence."

Jane Volland, former director of the court, worked closely with Vatavuk.

"Chandler was interested and involved in the legal system with the perspective of helping others," she said. "He worked with service, not his career goals, in mind."

Vatavuk said everyone has the capacity to make a difference. "Even if you don't have time to become an avid volunteer, take something of yourself and give it to others," he said. "God knows there are millions who don't have as much as we do."

Whether or not he makes it to the award ceremony in Washington, D.C., Vatavuk isn't slowing down.

"All the work I've done is my life has not been based on awards," he said.

"It's all about the kids and helping future generations of Americans."

To nominate someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the University community to be a Star Heel, e-mail features@unc.edu.