Halls Won't Close for Duke Game

Some specifics must still be worked out.

In an e-mail to the student body Thursday, Chancellor James Moeser said a limited amount of housing and dining services will be available through the morning of March 10 for those wishing to stay on campus for the rival game.

Because of a new formula used by the NCAA -- which is designed to give conferences more time to organize regular-season games and tournaments -- the ACC scheduled the UNC-Duke home game for March 9, two days after the start of Spring Break.

Part of the problem, officials have said, is that the University's academic calendar is drafted a year or two in advance. The calendar can only be changed for academic reasons.

Many students will find themselves either cutting their Spring Break plans short or missing the game altogether.

Housing officials hope keeping some residence halls open will make the decision somewhat easier.

Rick Bradley, assistant director of housing and residential education, said Friday that while the commitment stands to remain open after Spring Break starts, little else is certain."We stated that we definitely could remain open," he said. "I would say we offered to stay open if the rest of the campus can provide services."

The decision is the beginning of a process that will determine the rest of the specifics that come with students being on campus for an extended period. "Housing can't operate in a vacuum," he said. "There are still the logistics to work out."

From this point on, officials will work with numerous campus services to figure out what parts can function after campus essentially shuts down for the break.

A prime example of something that needs to be worked out is how meal plans will operate during the extended time, not to mention parking and other services, Bradley said.

Officials are not sure when the details will be final, Bradley said. "You have to look at any other University department that would typically not be open," he said. "At least we have some time to plan."