Library to Undergo Inside-Out Overhaul

Officials hope to appeal to larger user base.

"You can see our carpets -- these are 1982 carpets," said Lisa Rae, director of development and communications for the library.

But starting this month, the building will undergo an extensive overhaul from the inside out, and planners hope the project will result in more up-to-date, inviting facilities.

"While this is going to be more comfortable, it really is going to be focused technologically," said Adam Gori, who works with the library's communications and development office.

Planners say the overarching goal for the project is to provide reliable and valuable resources for a growing user base.

Not only does the library already serve UNC Hospitals and five of UNC's professional schools -- the schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Public Health -- Rae said she has seen an increase in usage by undergraduates such as various science majors. "There are only a handful of libraries like this in the country," Gori said.

Renovations will be split into two phases, the first taking about 14 months. Rae said officials anticipate that all construction will be completed by 2004.

The project's first phase involves the renovation of the basement and the first three floors. The second phase will cover the rest.

When the project is completed, users will see little difference on the outside. Aside from an additional entrance at Columbia Street, the main exterior will remain the same.

"The reason we're able to do it this way is because the library itself was built in two phases," Rae said.

In the meantime, the existing facilities have been adjusted dramatically.

Only the fourth floor is open to students right now, and staff and administration are occupying the fifth floor. Rae said the third floor will serve as a buffer between the first phase and students using the fourth floor.

In the works are a number of upgrades that planners hope will enhance the learning capacity at the library. "Our renovation is really going to improve the technology of this library," she said."We anticipate that the renovations will meet our need for about the next 20 years."

Among some of the improvements will be wireless capabilities, more computer labs, study areas and a teleconferencing center.

Rae said plans for a cyber cafe are being discussed but no specifics have surfaced. As of now, officials are simply enlisting student support for the proposed addition to the library's entrance.

A new History of Health Sciences wing also will take shape, featuring rare and priceless documents and resources related to health science.

"Because the second part of the library was completed in the '80s, there is technology here that meets the need, but it's all been added on," Rae said. "This will be an upgrade in the infrastructure itself and the space will be made to be more interactive."

All the changes will be expensive, of course. The project is expected to cost about $12 million, the bulk of which is being covered by money allocated from the $3.1 billion bond referendum passed in 2001. Officials had to provide $1 million of the entire cost in private donations.

As renovations gear up, students already will see the day-to-day inconveniences associated with such projects, aside from decreased study space and construction noise.

Only books and journals published since 1992 are available on the fourth floor of the library, Rae said. Remaining collections are being stored at Duke University, where it takes two to three days to retrieve an item. The library's rare books are in Wilson Library.

"In terms of an impact on students, there's already a time impact for old materials," Gori said.

On Oct. 3, officials will hold a "virtual groundbreaking," at the library, where the first wall will be torn down. A live Web cast of the event will take place and also will be watched by a gathering at the Carolina Inn.