Lights, Camera, English

Despite being hundreds of miles away, professor teaches class via teleconference.

Among so many ordinary things in 302 Greenlaw, it's almost tough to notice the small video camera at the front of the room; almost tough to notice the three men fidgeting with wires and buttons.

Almost.

But when an image of English Professor Richard Rust is at last projected onto a screen in front of the students, it's easy to see that this is no normal class.

A member of the UNC faculty for more than three decades, Rust was diagnosed with prostate cancer in mid-July and decided to undergo a series of radiotherapy treatments in Atlanta.

Unfortunately, the treatment conflicted with his summer school schedule, and Rust refused to cancel class.

"I have missed one class in 36 years," he said.

Searching for an answer, he contacted Greg Robinson, a computing consultant at the Office of Arts and Sciences Information Services, who was eager to help. "Our purpose is to support faculty members in their efforts to teach," Robinson said.

Robinson, with Jamie Bishop, another OASIS employee, and Tom Cox, a video services manager at the Academic Technology & Networking Service, turned to teleconferencing for their solution.

"I wanted to put Richard's mind at ease," said Cox, who has known Rust for years. "I thought he had enough to worry about."

Cox contacted his technical counterparts at Emory University in Georgia, and the project took off from there. Emory supplied a classroom and technology so that Rust was able to teach two summer classes from Atlanta via teleconference.

"It turned out to be an attractive solution," Rust said.

So attractive, in fact, that when Rust learned that he would need another six weeks of treatment, he decided to use the technique for two classes this semester.

When Rust learned that Emory was booked for the fall semester, he took the program to Georgia Tech.

"The people have been highly cooperative, he said. "(The collaboration) has been an act of good will on the part of Georgia Tech."

Although students admitted videoconferencing takes some getting used to, it lends itself well to the classroom environment. With his equipment, Rust can look anywhere in the room. He can also zoom in on individual students, making the interaction very personal.

"Even from hundreds of miles away, (Rust) is able to encourage discussion about the novels we're discussing," said Erin Thornton, a senior psychology major in Rust's "The American Novel" class.

"Teleconferencing is a great way to keep this class going during Professor Rust's absence," Thornton said.

Scott Silvers, a junior psychology major who sets up the technical equipment before each class, is also impressed by the class's success.

"Because Professor Rust is really personable, it feels like he is actually in the classroom," Silvers said. "His teaching style bridges any distance that stands between us."

Rust might be personable, but he also is prepared, keeping two dissertation students "on call" should the technology somehow fail. Armed with the day's topics of discussion, Laura Mielke and Mike Eborton are ready to teach any class.

Fortunately, the videoconferencing has gone surprisingly smoothly thus far. "Richard has taken right to it," Robinson said. "He works to interact with the students to the best of his ability."

The students agree, offering attentiveness and patience during class.

"I don't feel like this situation has inhibited our class learning experience," Silvers said. "I think we have learned a lot from this."

Cox agreed that it's been a success. "It's a testament to Richard Rust's dedication to teaching," Cox said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed (the process)."

And Rust, eager to thank those involved, praises the willingness of others to cooperate. "Universities may have rivalries on the football field," he said. "But institutes of higher learning can and do work together."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.