Move Over, Class of 2003: Seniors Move Into Orange County

Resources attract older population

The Sunshine State is a popular destination for retirees who are looking for beaches, golf courses and early bird specials.

But Florida is not the only state that attracts this increasing population.

North Carolina is drawing retirees at the third highest rate in the nation. They come seeking university services, good health care and blue skies.

According to the Orange County Department on Aging, Orange County is projected to have a 131.6 percent increase in the 65 and older population from 1996 to 2020.

That is the third highest increase among North Carolina's 100 counties.

Jerry Passmore, director of the county aging department, said retirees are attracted to Orange County because of the academics.

"Orange County has a great educational environment without the urban issues," he said.

"The universities really attract people."

Retirees enjoy the array of cultural offerings in the area, such as sporting events, visiting Raleigh and seeing shows at Playmakers Theatre.

Passmore said that because of the influx of retirees to the area, Orange County should concentrate on facilitating the new residents' needs.

Orange County operates an Easy Rider service that provides door-to-door transportation for people with disabilities.

Four large multipurpose senior centers, located in Chapel Hill, Northside, Carrboro and Hillsborough, also accommodate the elderly population.

"At the senior centers, there are activities every day and night for those with moderate incomes," Passmore said.

The centers are a part of the Master Aging Plan, a county "road map" for the future of aging services over the next five years.

"In 2030, one in five persons will be older than 65," Passmore said. "That is going to change our society and our institutions."

Robin Bailin, facility manager of the Chapel Hill Senior Center, said that the center is a "real melting pot," as more out-of-staters follow their children and settle here for retirement.

"One of the nicest things is the people -- each one brings a flair to the center," Bailin said.

She said the center offers a range of opportunities, including wellness programs, computer classes, lunches, movies and literature classes.

There are also cholesterol and blood pressure checks, as well as exercise classes to help retirees keep fit and healthy.

Retiree Arthur Greshes goes to the senior center twice a week to exercise.

After his wife passed away, Greshes moved from Long Island, N.Y., to be close to his son, who works in Chapel Hill.

Greshes said the proximity to UNC and Duke hospitals was a determining factor in the move to Orange County.

"I have to take a lot of medicine, so being close to university hospitals makes me feel very comfortable," Greshes said.

Lloyd Zurbrigg, originally from Ontario, moved with his family to North Carolina to follow his daughter when she decided to study music at UNC-Greensboro.

"The senior center is a great place for seniors to meet and enjoy each other's company," Zurbrigg said.

"I feel very close to Chapel Hill, and I like the Chapel Hill Senior Center. It's a very positive thing."

Retiree Viola Grace, a native of Ohio, moved to Hillsborough with her husband in 1997 to be closer to one of their daughters.

She said she and her husband have stayed busy volunteering at Cameron Park, an elementary school in Hillsborough.

"There are so many choices to make for living a pretty active life," Grace said.

"Our lives are so much richer for all of the things we do; it gives us a broader spectrum of the world."

Although the reasons for people coming to Orange County to retire differ, it is clear that their reasons for staying are linked to the varied resources that this area has made available to the incoming retirees.

As the retirees search for services that will enhance their lives socially and physically, they also give back to the community.

Passmore suggested that the community use the time and talents of the retirees.

"The retirees have lived through history," Passmore said.

"They provide a variety of knowledge and experiences that add to the dimension of this community."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.