NIH OKs 2nd Report Extension

Treatment summary deadline to be Sept. 20

The report originally was due in August, and the NIH at first extended the deadline to today. The new deadline is set for Sept. 20.

Robert Lowman, associate vice chancellor for research services, said the extra week will be used for fact-checking and more review of the report. Investigators have logged more than 1,500 hours of work since People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals uncovered several possible violations during an undercover investigation in April, which led to the NIH requesting the report.

"(PETA) alleged a variety of allegations on a variety of issues, and it's been a massive investigation to find out all the answers to their questions," Lowman said. "We're just trying to make sure all the facts are right."

Some changes will be made to how animals are handled in the laboratories to comply with rules established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Lowman said. Three experts in laboratory animal care -- Gale Taylor and Joseph Thulin from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Richard Van Sluyters from the University of California-Berkeley -- helped determine where change is necessary.

Lowman said it was valuable for UNC laboratories to study the treatment of animals, even if widespread change will not occur in all areas.

"While we disagree with many of the charges and think they have no merit, it is important to review how we treat animals," Lowman said. "We have a legal and moral obligation to obey the rules."

PETA officials expect many changes will be made after NIH officials receive and evaluate the report, said Mary Beth Sweetland, a spokeswoman for PETA.

She said she would like to see a new head veterinarian who has no ties to research, more trained animal care staff, changes to the euthanasia procedure for animals and a complete prohibition of the breaking of animals' necks.

UNC labs have enough funding to enable staff to be responsible to their animals, Sweetland said. "As far as I'm concerned, the more money you have, the more pristine your operation should be."

Many of the problems at UNC laboratories are the result of laziness and irresponsibility, Sweetland said, citing the example that some workers would break animals' necks to avoid going to the gas room to properly euthanize the animals.

"If the research is this important, you should want the best for these animals," Sweetland said.

"You should not moan and groan about a set of regulations."