Officials Discuss Master Program

The major issues discussed at the meeting include the state's cooperation on educational promotion, the hiring of a new superintendent for Orange County and the development of a new plan called the "Master Program" which will help make a better school board.

The "Master Program" was created by the Orange County Board of Education for people who are interested in governance based on their knowledge and skill in the field.

As for the new guidelines of the selection of superintendents, most of the Orange County board members believe the new guidelines are more nontraditional than before.

The requirements for superintendent have been changed by the NCSBA from holding an advanced degree or a master's degree to only requiring a bachelor's degree or five years of experience in management and leadership.

According to NCSBA, whose goal and mission is "to provide leadership and services that enable local boards of education to govern effectively," it is not required for any school districts to use the guidelines.

Dana Thompson, chairwoman of the Orange County school board, stands with the traditional side. She felt these nontraditional guidelines had made the matters of the county seem much like business affairs.

Thompson said, "I can appreciate the fact there are some schools that are willing to try new approach, but Orange County has been successful with our original system."

"I'm not really looking for a business educator. I'm looking for someone with deep educational background and a great deal of commitment in education."

Charter schools' demands to Orange County for funding a part of their costs also came up during the meeting.

Thompson is not willing to agree with charter schools on this term "unless the charter schools want to be like the regular schools or if they want to support only the inadequate students."

The issue is pending in the N.C. Supreme Court, and the ruling will be announced in a few months.

One other issue discussed was vouchers. Private schools are asking the school board members to fund them with money from public schools.

The meeting seemed to be useful to the members of the different school districts, according to board member Brenda Stephens. She was excited to have had a chance to observe Thomasville schools' unique and different approaches in improving education.

"It was the best meeting I've had so far because Ed Dunlat, the spokesman of the meeting, provided clinic sessions concerning how we can help the students," she said. "I was happy to hear about plans other than tutoring students."

Out of a number of helping methods she had witnessed, she said, "diversifying the staff, making them look more like the students, giving the staff more of multicultural experiences and providing free breakfasts for the students," were the most interesting.

Stephens also indicated she "strongly agreed with the free breakfast, especially because they mentioned how every child needs nourishment to be active."

Overall, Stephens' opinion on the meeting was positive. She said, "Being able to interact with other people and to hear different opinions on the issues seemed to be great help for people who attended the meeting."

The motto inscribed inside the hallway of the Thomasville school, "Character Counts," was a source of inspiration for Stephens.

"It reminded me of Thomasville's effort to focus on character development, as well as academic education in that one phrase."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.