Pottery, Arts in Exhibit Give Form to Spirituality

Native American film final event of exhibit.

Such was the case this past Thursday afternoon, when the wet noise of smacking clay echoed across campus as three Native Americans and a group of participants pounded away on lumps of clay as part of "Functional Art from Earth and Fire," a Cherokee pottery workshop.

The workshop was one of several that have been made available since the early September installation of the "art/spirit/art" exhibit in the James M. Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence.

Randi Davenport, associate director of the Johnston Center and curator of the installation, explained the basic concept behind the exhibit.

"Art/spirit/art is about connecting art, creativity and spirituality," she said. "It celebrates the physical manifestations of spirituality, which are born at the intersection of love."

The pottery workshop was instructed by Cherokee artists Davey Arch, Betty Maney and Amanda Swimmer.

They provided a group of amateur potters -- composed mostly of UNC students, senior citizens and local artists -- with step-by-step help through the pottery process. Arch, an acclaimed potter and wood carver, revealed the spiritual side to his art.

"Pottery-making very much relates to the Native American culture's belief that everything on Earth is connected," Arch said. "And in turn, the process is very therapeutic; you can get lost in it."

Such was the attraction for Theda Perdue, professor for several courses about Native Americans, who accompanied more than a dozen of her students in the workshop.

Perdue offered the workshop as a participatory extra credit option to her students.

The student turnout was a success but perhaps was less than spiritual, as indicated by one participant who abandoned her clay pot to chat on her cell phone.

But clay is not the only medium used in the exhibit. Malinda Maynor, an award-winning Lumbee filmmaker and another featured artist, uses film instead of clay.

Maynor's film, "In the Light of Reverence," examines religious freedom for three tribes in the West -- the Lakota, the Hopi, and the Wintu.

Maynor created her film with her culture in mind.

"I personally feel that my faith and my community make creativity possible and vice versa," Maynor said. "One can't exist without the other."

Arch and Maynor said they value the opportunity that "art/spirit/art" provides to Native American artists, and Davenport expressed hope for greater recognition for such artists and their artwork on campus.

"We want to support activities on campus that will appreciate local state groups and engage students in outreach," Davenport said.

She encourages students to attend the screening of Maynor's film, the last event in the program, to better understand the culture around Native American spirituality.

"In the Light of Reverence" will be screened at 7 p.m. Wednesday in 39 Graham Memorial -- but remember to leave your cell phones at home for the utmost spiritual experience.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.