Stress Is Leading Cause of Bad Grades

Other factors leading to poor grades -- including lack of sleep, illness and depression -- are stress-related as well, the report showed.

Richard Heisterman, director of consultation services at the University of Virginia, said students at UVa. are experiencing higher levels of stress than in previous years.

"There is an increased stress level on campus," Heisterman said. "We're seeing more acute-care types of issues."

The number of students coming into Appalachian State University's counseling center has increased, said Dan Jones, director of ASU's counseling center.

Jones attributed increased stress to students' having fewer familial support systems than in the past.

He also said the pressures of being a student athlete can be overwhelming in the modern college environment.

John Barrow, assistant director of counseling and psychological services at Duke University, said he has also noticed an increase in the stress level of students.

"There's all kind of stressors that are stirred up for students," he said.

Barrow said students in underrepresented groups -- such as racial, ethnic and sexual minorities -- often have more problems in the mainstream student body.

Heisterman said international and transfer students sometimes have added stress adjusting to the new college environment.

Most people experience stress at some time during their college career, but students' reactions to stress vary greatly, said Victor Leino, ACHA research director.

"There's a lot of individual ways people respond to stress," Leino said.

He said stress can even have a positive influence on students, including challenging some students to perform in school.

But the negative effects of stress can be very harmful.

Students under prolonged stress have a greater risk for infections. They also might experience cardiovascular problems, gastrointestinal problems and headaches.

Students who are stressed are also at a greater risk for drug and alcohol abuse, warned Barrow.

But many schools are starting to realize the importance of helping students deal with stress. Most on-campus counseling centers offer individual and group therapy.

Education is also an important part of the process of keeping students more stress-free.

Barrow said he is often called on to give lectures to classes and student organizations on how to manage stress.

He said it is important for students to be aware of their physical health and the connections between their minds and bodies because exercise is a key aid to alleviating students' stress.

Counseling officials say there are an increasing number of support and education services available and that students are beginning to take greater advantage of them.

Heisterman said, "I think people are more aware of services."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.