Students Call for Awareness, Passion

As senior Aaron Mesmer of N.C. Hillel blew from a ram's horn to signify the solemn moment, the crowd of more than 500 students who slowly gathered around him was a stark reminder of campus sentiments one year ago.

After a full day of reflection and observance on campus, students came together one last time to remember the attacks of Sept. 11 -- calling for peace, tolerance and unity.

The event, organized by the Campus Y, featured a diverse group of speakers, representing many faiths and perspectives on the past year.

Junior Alan Presley, representing the Campus Christian Fellowship, offered advice for coping with the tragic events of last year.

With inevitable anger must also come sympathy, he said. "Even though justice must be served, we must be compassionate."

Bob Phillips of the Baptist Student Union asked those in attendance to not only reflect on those who lost their lives in the attacks but also those who lost them in the aftermath. "As we pause to remember the ways in which we were changed a year ago ... we also pause to remember those who gave their lives as innocent victims and as heroes," he said.

Phillips urged the crowd to search for themselves as the impact from the attacks still sets in one year later.

"It's easy to believe in our world that violence is redemptive, but it's always a sign of failure," he said. "It's so important for us to continue to define ourselves and our identity based on who we are ... and not be defined by others."

After Sept. 11, senior Sara Pugh took a trip to New York. She said Wednesday night that one song on the radio was especially meaningful to her and played it for the audience.

"As this song suggested, I came back with the comfort and peace and knowledge that God is there," she said.

Junior Fareed Hussain, a member of the Muslim Students Association, shifted the tone of the evening to address diversity and identity.

"I am from New York -- I love New York. I'm an American, and I love being an American. I also love Islam, and I love being Muslim," Hussain said. "As we remember God and remember who we are, we remember what we stand for as Americans. ... That is the lesson we must learn -- to understand one another. That is what diversity means to me."

Others, like Students United for a Responsible Global Environment member Dennis Markatos, stressed the need for nonviolence in this time of war."It is up to us to wave the flag, not for war but for peace," he said. "Let us be part of the spiritual uplift that our country needs."

Junior Scott O'Day of the group Students for a Free Tibet, said he has committed himself to carrying that message, no matter how difficult it might be.

"I faced a new task -- I had to find a way to prove my argument of nonviolence," he said. "I feel alienated from people when I cannot offer the protection they want."

Students left the vigil in silence, grabbing hands, giving hugs and slowly getting back to their routines.

"As you go on your way, remember what's been said tonight," said Hildy Fong, Campus Y co-president. "Be aware, and be passionate."