SuperTarget Might Open in South Square Mall

The last store at South Square, Radio Shack, left the mall Sept. 13. The only obstacles barring construction of the new Target are approval of a site plan and hiring of appropriate contracting companies.

Dick Hails, assistant director of the Durham Planning Department, said the site plan for the new Target was turned in several weeks ago.

"We've been wanting to get Target in south Durham for 10 years," he said.

But Brie Heath, Target media relations representative, would not comment on whether Target planned to build at the South Square Mall site.

"We don't announce anything about stores until the paperwork has been processed," she said. "We have to go to the city. Zoning, planning, and other commissions would have to sign off.

"Construction has to start before we announce the store."

Hails said the Durham City Council must approve the site plan before construction can begin. "City Council hasn't had the opportunity to see if it was the right location," he said.

A site plan is approved based on proper layout of technical merits and health-safety standards -- fire lanes, landscaping and sewer connections to name a few.

Hails said the South Square site is already zoned for commercial use, which will expedite the site approval process.

"South Square is a commercial zone. (It's been) a commercial mall since the '70s," said Hails. "City Council can't turn down a site plan legally unless it doesn't meet health safety criteria."

The site plan proposes to tear down the mall and its two parking decks.

"The buildings in the far corners will stay," Hails said.

Target, accompanied by Sam's Club and a big service parking lot in front, will replace the razed property.

But plans to build a transit system might foil the development of the new Target.

The Durham City Council wants to "build a high-quality regional transit system from Duke to UNC and Durham to Chapel Hill," Hails said.

Chapel Hill, Durham and the N.C. Department of Transportation mapped out a tentative route for the transit system that travels through the site, potentially preventing future store construction.

The Durham City Council approved the transit plan last fall, but it is subject to changes. The council will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Oct. 21 at City Council Chambers to address the plan.

Hails said Target would strengthen an already strong economy in the area.

"It's our largest retail area in the city," he said. "It's been an important part of the community for a long time.

"If strong stores went there, it would reflect on the strong economy on that part of town."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.