Tar Heel Town Offers Fun, Cheap Rituals Before Game

But the buzz surrounding UNC's football season begins long before the game's scheduled kickoff time.

The folding chairs and striped blue and white tents filling the quad on game day can only mean one thing -- Tar Heel Town, UNC's most prominent pregame event.

Tar Heel Town is described on its official Web site, http://www.tar

heeltown.com, as a "popular outdoor festival of food, music and family-oriented activities."

It opens 2 1/2 hours prior to the kickoff of every home game and closes 30 minutes before kickoff.

The festival attracts people of all ages -- students, alumni, families and community members -- regardless of whether they are going to the game.

Young children love Tar Heel Town for the face painting, inflatable moonwalk and radar-pitch games, and parents appreciate the alcohol-free tailgating environment Tar Heel Town provides.

Members of the community also can enjoy watching the UNC cheerleaders lead the crowd in spirit chants accompanied by the mighty music of the Marching Tar Heels.

Rameses, UNC's official mascot, is usually on hand to sign autographs and take pictures with families.

And for those looking for a pregame snack, Tar Heel Town has a partnership with Parker's Barbecue of Wilson, which sells barbecue plates and a beverage for $6.25.

With all Tar Heel Town has to offer, undergraduates said they mainly come because its provides a no-cost alternative for before the game.

"I go to Tar Heel Town to get a bunch of free stuff," said sophomore Ana Franklin. "People like ESPN and Horizon always have booths giving out food and promotional items."

A favorite of many Tar Heel Town regulars is the football team's Old Well Walk, led by head coach John Bunting, from the Old Well to Kenan Stadium.

"The Old Well Walk is my favorite because you get to see all the players' expressions; some of players are nervous while some are excited," Franklin said.

In addition to Tar Heel Town, many other pregame activities are available for students.

Sophomore Sara Ghassemian said she has a weekly ritual of getting together with friends and ordering Pokey Stix from Gumby's Pizza.

Ghassemian said her pregame ritual also includes arriving at Kenan Stadium early to see her boyfriend, kicker Paul Roberts, warm up before the game.

And pregame traditions are not limited to current UNC students.

Chris Fromme, a May 2001 graduate working in Charlotte, said he tries to come back to UNC for football games and tailgate with his former Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity brothers.

Whenever Fromme cannot make it to Kenan Stadium to watch UNC play live, he said, he often heads to a local Charlotte sports bar with friends to cheer for his old school's team.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide