Third School Still In Planning Stage

The meeting was held in part to further an initiative by the two school systems to collaborate and make use of programs offered at individual schools. One proposal would allow students to attend classes not offered by the schools in their respective system.

Officials said they are in favor of collaboration.

"This could be very helpful to students," said Commissioner Margaret Brown. "I'm very positive -- it looks like a very good proposal."

Officials say the timeline for the collaboration is still unclear. There will be another meeting to discuss the issue in the next few weeks.

Barry Jacobs, chairman of the Board of Commissioners, said plans are in motion to begin the program.

"The governing boards are basically endorsing this (collaboration initiative) in October," he said. "We at least want to get this established before we get back from holiday break."

Commissioners and board members alike said the driving force behind collaboration is the benefit for students.

"The outcome should be that what we offer is the best to all students in the county," said Valerie Foushee, Chapel Hill-Carrboro school board chairwoman.

Officials also addressed different concerns from each school system at the meeting.

Interim Superintendent for Orange County Schools Mike Williams spoke about student population projections and potential overcrowding. He noted that some numbers projected for 2002 were lower than the actual amounts.

"This highlights the fact that (Orange County is) growing, despite the projections."

Chapel Hill-Carrboro school board members focused on the proposal to build a third high school.

With the projected enrollment numbers for 2005-06 calling for a student increase, Foushee said it is imperative that they discuss the proposal now to build the school in time for it to open that year.

"(There is) a fair amount of urgency with regard to our idea about when the new high school should be built." Foushee said.

Neil Pedersen, superintendent for Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools, also said the possibility of building the third high school needs to be addressed now.

"A sense of urgency is greater at the high school level," he said.

Board members said they need to discuss the location of the school and the number of students it should hold.

"We suggested no less than 750 students with the possibility to expand upon," Foushee said.

The board members said both systems need funds for administrative offices and expansion of schools. But they said money is hard to come by because of the budget crisis the state is experiencing.

"We're trying to be creative with funds because we have so many students coming," Jacobs said. "Schools are the major service we provide, but certainly not the only one."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.