300 Protest to Sway Price Against Iraq War

The demonstration was intended to inform Price that some of his constituents want him to vote against a bill that would allow a unilateral attack on Iraq. Protesters of all ages began gathering at all four corners of a busy Chapel Hill intersection outside Price's office at 1777 N. Fordham Blvd. at 3:30 p.m.

Lucy Straley, 88, expressed her long-standing opposition to war. "I have been a peace activist for a long time," she said. "Attacking Iraq won't stop terrorism, it's the wrong way to go."

Miles Colescurtis, a third grader, said he thought that attacking Iraq would be wrong. "It would kill a lot of people who didn't do anything," he said.

Protesters remained until well after dark, displaying numerous hand-held signs and encouraging passing drivers to "Honk if you don't want war."

Drivers responded with a chorus of horn blasts, but not everyone agreed with the protesters' cause. One driver penned a sign that read "Grow Up" to flash back at protesters while he waited at a red light.

Inside Price's office 17 people -- eight of whom were UNC students -- held a sit-in for almost three hours. The group demanded to speak to Price, who was in a meeting of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Rules.

At 6:35 p.m., during a brief committee recess, Price called his office and spoke to protesters for 15 minutes.

During the telephone conversation Price said he has received more than 1,000 letters on the issue, of which fewer than 10 supported military action.

Earlier, 10 people were barred from entering the office of Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., protester Steve Woolford said.

Though protesters were allowed to enter Price's office, they were not satisfied with his response. "Price evaded most of our questions," said Liz Mason-Deese, a UNC freshman who helped organize the demonstration. "He is our representative, he is a Democrat, and he has not taken a firm stand. Edwards won't listen to us, but Price will. We had a chance here."

Adam Sotak, speaking to Price on the phone as a representative for the protesters, demanded that Price promise to vote against any unilateral action against Iraq.

Price repeatedly answered that he had co-crafted a resolution that would require President Bush to get a second vote in Congress if he wanted to declare war.

But those who decided to spend the night at Price's office wanted to show that they thought his answer was unacceptable.

"If Representative Price is not going to represent me, who is?" said Kriti Sharma, a junior in the Carolina Environmental Program. "So much of the democratic process is being lost. What does it mean to be in a representative democracy where concerns are not translated into action?"

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.