3 Candidates Visit Campus, Share Platforms

2 Libertarians, 1 Republican seek 1st terms in legislature

Several candidates were scheduled to participate in the forum, held in 104 Peabody Hall, but all three incumbents were in Raleigh for the final N.C. General Assembly session, leaving three contestants present -- Libertarian candidates Frederick Blackburn and Will Shooter and Republican Peter Morcombe.

Blackburn and Shooter are running for seats in the N.C. House against Rep. Joe Hackney and Rep. Verla Insko, both D-Orange, respectively.

Morcombe is challenging N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange.

Because all of the candidates are pursuing different districts, they discussed their platforms instead of debating. The absent candidates sent statements of their platforms, which were read to the crowd before the program began.

Each candidate was given three minutes to present his platform. Morcombe spoke first, stressing his similarities to the constituents he wants to represent. "I'm not a politician; I'm an electrical engineer," he said.

Morcombe, who is British, had nothing unkind to say about Kinnaird. He spoke about his love for the United States and briefly touched on his goals to eliminate wasteful spending and build smaller schools.

He said that in running against Kinnaird, who is finishing her third term in the Senate, he faces the challenge of funding his campaign and changing the minds of the 54 percent of registered voters who are Democrats in his district.

Blackburn said his perspective as a man who lives on a farm and owns his own business makes him the best candidate to represent the district that includes Orange County. "I feel I need to assume a role of stewardship and start looking out for other people's rights."

He said his main stance is that he is a man of the people. "I want to represent you," he said. "I don't want to lead you."

Like the other candidates, this is the first time Shooter is running for state political office. He owns a landscaping business.

Shooter said he thinks the government should stay out of people's lives. "Less government equals less taxes."

He added that he thinks the government is allocating budget money in the wrong directions and that he would vote "no" on any bill that proposes raising taxes.

When asked their opinions on the lottery, both Libertarian candidates replied that they believe individual citizens have a right to vote on the issue.

In regard to the lottery, Morcombe expressed his disapproval. "I have a problem with government having a monopoly about anything."

In their closing remarks, all three candidates stressed that the most important thing is for people to vote Nov. 5.

Shooter said, "Voting gives you a voice in the political process."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.