Monday, June 3, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Aspiring to Be Real 'Idol'

Students to audition for "American Idol" show

They are making the trek Sunday to audition to appear on the next season of the popular Fox television show "American Idol."

Among those hoping to compete on the 21st century reincarnation of "Star Search" are UNC sophomores Thomas McAbee, Justin Carter and Jason Hamlin, who will take the potentially life-changing road trip to Atlanta together.

"I can't wait to go down there and just give it a shot," McAbee said. "I've been looking forward to it for a month.

"I've been behind in school work and everything. It's all I think about."

In addition to singing in the coed a cappella group Tar Heel Voices, McAbee performs with Lighter Shade of Blue, a show choir that sings and dances on campus.

He began his performance career in the 10th grade when he auditioned for a musical as a way to earn extra credit in his theater class.

The chorus teacher working on the production subsequently convinced him to join his school's chorus.

"After that, I fell in love with (singing)," he said.

"I sing constantly in my room. It's all I do."

When "American Idol" first aired this summer, McAbee said he became obsessed with the show, particularly with winner Kelly Clarkson.

Clarkson received a recording contract and now has a hit single titled "A Moment Like This."

"I was looking at some of the people (on the show) and was like, 'I could do it,'" he said.

McAbee has a list of 12 songs that he is considering for his audition in Atlanta.

He said he spent this week recording himself singing the songs on his computer and deciding which ones he likes best.

He will send his favorite songs to friends, who will determine which song he should use at the audition.

"If I were to make the top 10 and actually get on the show, it would be absolutely huge for a career, but you have to be realistic," he said.

"I completely realize that there will be so many talented people there giving it their best."

McAbee, who is considering a double major in international relations and journalism, said he is not pursuing music as a major because he does not read sheet music and believes that he is too far behind to begin learning theory.

"I'm just trying to get a degree to fall back on because it's not the most reliable business," he said of the entertainment industry.

"But it's the only thing I see myself being happy doing for the rest of my life."

Carter, who is also a member of Tar Heel Voices, shares McAbee's desire to make a career out of singing, and said he sees participating in "American Idol" as an excellent venue to further that ambition.

"It'd be a lot of exposure and get my name out to a lot of people outside of North Carolina," he said.

Already, Carter has drawn attention with a demo he submitted to the "American Idol" Web site.

Two fan clubs, with a total membership of more than 70 people, have formed, and two Web sites devoted to the UNC student's quest are on the way.

Both Carter and Clef Hanger member Hamlin, who were roommates last year, have been singing since they were small children at church.

Carter sang at weddings and family gatherings before joining an R&B/pop group in high school that had a manager and performed shows.

In 1999 he was called back in a record label audition but had to decline because of fees he was unable to cover.

Now, all three students have a chance at showcasing their talent on national television, an opportunity McAbee said he does not want to pass up.

"I have to give it a shot so I don't look back later in life and think, 'What if I had gone to that audition?'"

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide