Author Talks With Students About Success

"I decided to write as offensively as possible," he said.

Speaking on a variety of topics such as "TV-induced Alzheimer's," and silencing the rational mind, Palahniuk easily matched the persona his books reflect.

It's hard to believe that publishing his most widely known book -- the cult classic "Fight Club" -- was a fluke.

Palahniuk sat in a backward chair with his shoes off as he told eager screenwriters that both his book and movie contracts fell into place because of one or two determined individuals.

The majority of people at Twentieth Century Fox studios and publisher W. W. Norton were adamantly opposed to accepting the deranged and incomprehensible novel in any form. "If the marketing people can't pigeonhole it, they reject it," Palahniuk said.

Luckily, he was able to find "the people who most strongly connect with (his) work" -- a must in the industry.

Instead of talking books the whole time, however, Palahniuk addressed concerns about something he considers an atrocity -- television viewing. He told the audience that studies say television might even cause Alzheimer's. To Palahniuk, anything is preferable to television.

"Even my dumbest friend is better than TV, and I have some pretty dumb friends," he said.

Obviously, Palahniuk's disdain for television does not carry over to the big screen. He told the audience how pleased he was with the efforts put in to the making of "Fight Club" and the final product.

Much like his "Fight Club" narrator, Palahniuk experiences moments of clarity while enduring insomnia and physical self-deprivation. Whether it's frying in a hot hotel room or denying himself nutrition until an idea comes, he supports asceticism in the name of creativity.

One young writer inquired about the source of that creativity. Palahniuk said "the public junk yard" is actually the provider of substance for his books.

Palahniuk also said it is not at all unusual to find him at a party throwing out ideas to strangers, such as, "So, has anyone ever done something to someone's food in a restaurant?" He then listens intently, excuses himself to the bathroom, and jots down the most interesting responses on cocktail napkins.

These party tales often start out as ideas for short stories and are later incorporated into novels. Many of the scenes in "Fight Club" are actually a compilation of several short stories that were all previously published in magazines.

No one seems to be complaining though, because Palahniuk continues to enjoy success in all of his writing. His frankness in speech and on the page has captured fans across the United States.

Palahniuk connected with the students on a personal and professional level, giving solid advice about how to succeed in the publishing business without "blowing the editor."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.