Behind Bars: Unlocking Poetic Talents

By Ami Shah

Staff Writer

Judith Reitman, a Chapel Hill-based writer and former UNC journalism professor, began visiting the Raleigh Correctional Center for Women with the intention of writing a book about women there.

By the time she stopped, she had set the foundation for the N.C. Women's Prison Writing and Performance Project.

"When I began working with them to write the stories, I quickly realized that only they could tell their stories and could do so far more powerfully than I could," Reitman said.

In spring 2001, the project was founded by Reitman, who continues to direct the program. Originally she began giving minimum-security inmates weekly workshops in creative writing and narrative storytelling.

"Through working with the women, I have noticed the transitive power of the written word," Reitman said. "The written word sets them free from their past and provides them with a vision to make better decisions for the future."

Rhonda Gibson, a journalism professor, later began helping the inmates with news and profile writing. Reitman and Gibson were awarded a $10,000 grant from the Carolina Center for Public Service for the project.

"The grant allowed guest speakers, drama coaches, poetry coaches and writing supplies to be brought in for the women," Gibson said.

One of the drama coaches brought in was Jenny Lanier.

Lanier, from the N.C. School for the Arts, had intended to go in for a one-time performance workshop.

"The writing was so intense," Lanier said. "It was like someone was digging for truth in themselves."

Lanier said the women were enthusiastic and receptive to her workshop.

"I thought, 'Wow!'" Lanier said. "If people have that much desire to work, I'd love to work with them. Our little chunk of time together is hopefully a bright light for them."

As a result of Lanier's theater workshops, six of the inmate participants will present their work in public for the first time Saturday.

The free event, titled "Doing More Than Time," will take place at 1 p.m. in the Student Union Auditorium.

Lanier said the event will showcase the true talents of the women, especially to people who might hold stereotypes.

"I had a different picture of what an inmate looked like before them," Lanier said. "It made me rethink how I judge people. I had to pull that judgmental piece out of me."

She said she believes the project has given the women an increased belief in themselves. "By having to write, they have been able to face up to themselves and their past decisions in a unique way," she said.

Reitman said the program is beneficial for both the inmates and the community.

"The women reflect on their lives and through their reflections make better decisions for the future,"she said. "But it also helps the N.C. community because when the women are released, they are much more conscious of their decisions and better citizens."

Reitman said the women who completed the program had changed completely from when they began.

"Before I was skeptical if people could really change," Reitman said. "If you ask me now, I know the answer is yes. The transformation is tremendous."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.