BOG Approves Social Work School Dean

Faculty member, interim Dean Jack Richman appointed to job

Richman assumed his new position Saturday after acting as interim dean of the school since January. He also has served a professor, teaching courses in both the master's and doctoral programs.

"He is going to be an absolutely stellar dean," Provost Robert Shelton said.

The search for a new dean began after former dean Dick Edwards resigned in February 2001. Before Richman, Kim Strom-Gottfried served as interim dean. When the position opened, Richman originally served on the search committee.

Richman said the faculty was unsatisfied with the first round of applicants, so they reopened the search. In the next round, the applicant who was offered a position refused. He said the provost then decided to look for a candidate both nationally and inside the school. Shelton said Richman was highly recommended by his colleagues.

"I am extremely lucky to be here," Richman said.

Joanne Caye, a clinical instructor in the School of Social Work, has known Richman since 1993. "I don't think we could've done any better," she said.

Richman received both his bachelor's degree and his master's in social work from the State University of New York at Albany. He earned his doctorate in counseling psychology from Florida State University.

In addition to teaching, Richman has held many administrative posts in the school, consulted organizations throughout the state and won many honors.

In his new position, Richman said, he will look to diversify fund raising for the school. "We will have to find more ways to do more with less."

Seventy percent of the school's funding is provided by the state of North Carolina. Because of recent budget cuts, the school will have to look to both federal and private sectors to raise funds, Richman said.

He also looks to create a more supportive environment within the school. "I want to give the students a sense of empowerment."

The graduate school offers master's and doctoral degrees and has more than 85 faculty members.

U.S. News & World Report ranks UNC-CH's master's of social work program the fourth best among public universities in the country and seventh best among all universities nationwide.

Richman's appointment is the first in the search for six upper-level administrators -- three vice chancellors and three deans. "If all our other searches are as successful," Shelton said, "I will be extraordinarily pleased."