Boone Offers Natural Fun for Break

Outdoor adventure, fall beauty can be found.

Boone is one of the state's most scenic small towns, where all the beauties of fall are prevalent. The town offers all of the outdoor adventures associated with mountain life -- rock climbing, hiking and white-water rafting.

"I moved here from Florida just for the climbing," said Ian Hazelwood, employee of Rock and Roll Sports, a sports equipment store in Boone.

"There are around five or six main areas for climbing, each with well over 100 problems for the climber and boulderer to solve," he said.

Boone's popularity for climbing can be understood by a glance at the parking lot below Table Rock, a popular climbing destination. Cars bearing license plates from Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Arizona, Utah and many other states can be seen.

"It's my favorite place on earth to climb," said Robby Thigpen, an anthropology major at Appalachian State University. "It's beautiful and perfect in nature, and anyone who visits will get a feeling of that."

Boone also is one of the most popular sights in the country for white water rafting.

The Nolichucky River is ranked as one of the top rivers in the country, offering 11 miles of spectacular scenery. White-water rivers include the Watauga River, the Doe River, Wilson Creek and the New River, providing enough water to challenge beginners and experts alike.

Wahoo's Adventures, on U.S. 321, offers white-water rafting adventures ranging from $44 to $230, with group rates available for about $30. It can be reached at (800) 444-RAFT.

But enjoying Boone's outdoor activities also can be free.

"My favorite place to hike is the (Blue Ridge) Parkway or Grandfather Mountain," said Casey Gofs, a student at ASU. "It's also a lot of fun to go diving off Trash Can Falls and swimming in the pools below."

Hiking trails at Grandfather Mountain include many moderate to strenuous trails, such as Green Knob Trail, a 2.3 mile trail; Boone Fork Trail, a 4.9 mile trail; and Tanawha Trail, a 13.5 mile trail.

For a delicious dinner after a day of outdoor adventures, Hazelwood suggests Macado's, a favorite college spot located on King Street downtown. "You can grab a great sandwich for a really good price, and the place is always packed with the excitement of a lot of college students," he said.

Thigpen recommends the BeansTalk, also located on King Street, for coffee in a warm atmosphere. "It's a cool place to grab coffee and talk with friends or read a book," he said.

Though Boone has many hotels, many say the scenery is best experienced in a tent.

Camping is a way to get a break from campus life -- it's a chance that doesn't come up often in the noisy dance floors of clubs or in line for the keg at parties.

"(Camping) just makes you feel a lot closer to friends than you usually do on a typical weekend," said UNC-Chapel Hill sophomore James Farmer.

And finding camping spots in Boone presents none of the challenges of finding parking spaces in Chapel Hill.

Campgrounds include Grandfather Mountain Campground of N.C. 105; Honey Bear, 229 Honey Bear Campground Road; and Flintlock Campground at 171 Flintlock Campground Drive.

For UNC-CH students looking for a quick getaway from campus and a weekend spent in nature, Boone might be a good fall road trip destination.

Thigpen said Boone is the perfect mix of outdoor adventure and the tranquility of nature.

"I love oxymorons, and I'm all about living my life that way."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.