Bowles, Dole Debate for 1st Time

Status of additional debates remains uncertain.

RALEIGH -- U.S. Senate candidates Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Elizabeth Dole took part in a televised debate Monday that was their first, and likely last, debate before the Nov. 5 election.

The question-and-answer format debate was taped Monday afternoon at Meredith College in Raleigh and aired on television stations across the state later that evening.

The candidates discussed a wide variety of issues, ranging from tax cuts to a possible war in Iraq.

Bowles and Dole acknowledged a need to pass legislation to stimulate the economy, both on the state and national level, but differed on how to do so.

Dole's economic plan involves ensuring that tax cuts are made permanent to allow families to keep more of the money they earn. "I want to make certain that we get fiscal accountability," she said.

"I do believe in being fiscally responsible," countered Bowles. But he said he does not think cutting taxes across the board is the solution to reversing the economic downturn.

Bowles said he favors tax cuts for individuals falling in the middle and lower tax brackets but would be willing to freeze taxes for individuals with the highest incomes.

The debate jumped from fiscal stability to national security as the two debated how far the United States should take the war on terror.

Dole said she would have voted in support of the legislation giving President Bush authority to attack Iraq without prior congressional consent.

"It's absolutely necessary that the president protects the interests of the United States," she said.

Bowles echoed Dole's sentiment, pointing to his service on the National Security Council as evidence that of the two candidates he best understands the threat the United States faces. "I would've voted yes," he said. "I would've supported the president."

Bowles and Doles both said they would work to improve the quality of life for the nation's military personnel -- and specifically for North Carolina's own military forces.

The candidates also discussed plans to help tobacco growers and textile workers in North Carolina and defended their eligibility as representatives of the state.

Elaine Marshall, a former candidate for the 2002 Democratic nomination for North Carolina's U.S. Senate seat, said Bowles seized control of the debate and was forthright while answering questions, unlike Dole, who Marshall said evaded the issues.

But Jack Cox, deputy communications director for the Dole campaign, said Bowles spoke in generalities and attacked Dole rather than defining himself. "(Dole) stuck to a positive message."

The two candidates had agreed to one other debate, but the debate sponsors canceled the event after complaining that the candidates were trying to manipulate the format.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.