Bowles, Dole Plan to Increase Aid

Both of the candidates in North Carolina's closely watched U.S. Senate race say the federal government has a role in ensuring all students have access to higher education.

But Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Elizabeth Dole offer slightly different plans of action for funding.

Dole stated in an e-mail that if elected she will address the rising costs of higher education and simplify student and institutional aid programs. She also stated she will work for flexible federal funding for institutions as state budgets are cut.

Bowles spokeswoman Susan Lagana pointed to Bowles' work with the HOPE Scholarship tax credit in 1997 as a sign of his commitment to increasing funding for higher education.

The HOPE Scholarship, which is used in Georgia, grants financial assistance in degree, diploma and certificate programs at eligible Georgia public and private institutions.

Both Dole and Bowles have also expressed support for increasing Federal Pell Grant funding. The Pell Grant is the largest federally funded need-based financial aid program for college students. The grant is given to students with estimated family contributions of $3,800 or less.

Dole stated that funding bills for higher education are scheduled for renegotiation next year and that she would work to increase Pell Grant funding.

Lagana said Bowles would increase the number of students receiving Pell Grants.

The Pell Grant program offers aid to all students who qualify by contribution calculations and award different allowances based on family income level. Last year the federal government appropriated $1 billion in emergency funding to ensure all qualified students receive Pell Grants.

Lagana declined to comment on how Bowles would work to increase the number of Pell Grant recipients.

Federal financial aid has increased the number of low-income students applying for college, UNC officials say.

UNC experienced a 21 percent enrollment growth of students at or below the poverty level in 2001.

Federal funding made up 57 percent of financial aid provided to UNC students that year, offered in the form of grants, loans and work-study.

Shirley Ort, UNC director of scholarships and student aid, said the federal government is becoming more aware of the national trend in lower-income college enrollment each year.

"Some people are falling into poverty levels because of the economy, but the growth we're seeing is not mainly because of this," Ort said. "Instead it's a result of college outreach programs that reach out to low-income families."

She added that the state's budget problems do not hurt student aid because state and university funds that give grants to students are exempt from the budget cuts.

Ort said that although states are able to maintain need-based financial aid, federal funding could be an election issue.

But she said student aid is an issue that tends to be bipartisan.

"I think leaders of this country, both in education and politics, know that in order to compete internationally, we must have an educated work force."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.