Business Expo Aims to Aid Economy

Orange County businesses showcase goods

The Orange County Business Expo 2002 was the first countywide collaboration of this type.

The expo was organized by the Orange County Economic Development Commission, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce and the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce.

"This is the first time the two chambers and the economic development commission have worked together," said Dianne Reid, director of the Orange County Economic Development Commission and future director of the Hillsborough-Orange County Chamber of Commerce. "One reason (we had the expo) was because of the economic slowdown."

Though the economy of Orange County has not suffered as much as other counties around the state, Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said the expo is a good way to stir up even more business.

"We have some phenomenal businesses in Orange County," he said. "We thought this would be an exciting opportunity to showcase them."

The featured businesses ranged from banks to newspapers to ice cream distributors who handed out samples.

WUNC Radio, one of the sponsors for the event, came to the expo in the hope of gaining advertisers -- but more importantly to gain exposure, said Scott McCall, a corporate relations associate for WUNC. "We're just trying to create general awareness for the station," he said.

WUNC handed out "chip clips" with its logo along with radio program schedules and bumper stickers. Most businesses distributed samples of their goods or auctioned merchandise or gift certificates.

Stephanie Lerner, a counselor who specializes in individual and relationship counseling, said she manned a booth at the expo because she wants exposure for her business. "My product is a hard one to market," she said. "It's not a concrete household item."

Lerner said she also was trying to change the image some people have of counselors. "I feel it's very important for people to be less frightened of counselors," she said. "There are so many stereotypes out there."

Some people who visited the expo said they had a specific purpose, while others were simply browsing.

Winslow Carter, a career counselor at East Chapel Hill High School, said he attended with students in mind. "I'm looking for opportunities to place students in internships with local businesses," he said.

Diana Towsley, a Carrboro resident, said she was browsing purely for herself. "I came to see what businesses are around, and I know some of the people here," she said. "Also, I'm a graphic artist, and I'm looking for a job, and I wanted to see what was out there."

Reid said the expo was a success and she hoped it would encourage local spending. "Our real hope is that businesses will get to know each other and buy from each other," she said.

"Any time the money stays in Orange County, it's a good thing."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk.unc.edu.