Campus Contest Raises Drought Awareness

Residence halls face off in Water Wars

Water Wars, developed by the University Housing and Residence Hall Water Conservation Task Force, kicked off Wednesday as a competition between residence hall communities to see which community can reduce its water consumption the most.

The goal is to reduce campus use by 25 percent. Water meters for area residence halls will be measured to see how much water the residence halls are using.

Cindy Thompson, RHA's vice president for governors affairs, said the group already is involved in Hall Brawl, which in part awards points to residence halls for the amount of water they save. The event will run all year long.

Residence halls held unique kick-off events Wednesday to raise resident awareness and to win points toward the event.

Pete Trentacoste, community director for the Aycock, Everett, Graham, Lewis and Stacy area, said the resident advisers have made bulletin board displays to promote Water Wars. They also have placed posters in the residence hall bathrooms informing residents of the continuing drought.

Chris Moody, area director for Craige Residence Hall, said his residence hall hosted an event to see how informed the residents are about the drought.

"We wanted to increase awareness about what the issues are," Moody said.

Tables were set up in Craige from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., and residents were asked several questions about UNC's "Every Drop Counts" campaign, the ongoing campuswide water conservation effort.

Residents were encouraged to drink sports drinks instead of filling up water bottles -- they were given different sizes of sports drinks corresponding to the number of questions they answered correctly.

Another residence hall community used humor to raise awareness about the drought. The Olde Campus Upper Quad residence halls held a mock "Pit preacher" demonstration to inform passers-by about the effects of the drought and what the average student should do to help.

Matt Jones, a senior resident assistant at Grimes Residence Hall, served as the mock Pit preacher. He shouted phrases like, "We are headed toward a disastrous day of judgement ... of porta-potties and showers in Fetzer Gym!"

The weekly winner of Water Wars will be given a champions banner to display. Winning residence hall communities will be awarded monetarily from UNC's Division of Facilities Services on a monthly basis.