Campuses Find Individual Solutions to Budget Cuts

BOG must approve plans in November

The UNC-system Board of Governors will review final plans at its November meeting. The BOG released Oct. 11 the official amount each university must cut from its budget.

System schools were required to submit plans for anticipated budget cuts in April, said Jeff Davies, UNC-system vice president for finance. Davies said he expects to see the 16 campuses generally follow their April plans but that each university has the authority to distribute cuts within its departments.

"Preparations for final budget reductions have the benefit of several more months of research," he said.

UNC-Chapel Hill Provost Robert Shelton distributed cuts to departments before the BOG acted Oct. 11. At UNC-CH each department will be in charge of accounting for its own reductions.

N.C. State University has planned for the reductions since June, said George Worsley, N.C. State vice chancellor for finance and business. "We anticipated a cut around 5 percent," Worsley said. "As a result of that, we laid off 50 people."

N.C. State's administration and academic departments will see 4.5 percent and 2.5 percent budget cuts respectively, he said.

But Worsley said increased enrollment funds allowed the safety department space to expand and enter a contract with Pinkerton Security to provide greater security after two recent robberies.

Appalachian State University also has acted in anticipation of the cuts, said Bob Shaffer, ASU vice chancellor for public affairs. The university has seen a $5.7 million reduction in its budget since fall 2001-02, Shaffer said. He added that ASU froze unfilled faculty positions last winter in anticipation of further cuts but has yet to implement layoffs.

"What are in jeopardy are travel, faculty, supplies and equipment," Shaffer said. Equipment funds have been decreased as much as 80 percent in some departments, he said.

Officials at UNC-Asheville have not yet implemented layoffs, said UNC-A Budget Officer Steve Honeycutt. He said the university now requires a 120-day vacancy for unfilled positions.

Honeycutt said officials at UNC-A will try their hardest to protect its Department of Public Safety.

Fayetteville State University will have a 2.9 percent decrease in traditional funding but also will receive extra money from the state in relation to its status as a focused-growth institution, said university spokeswoman Lauren Cook Wike.

UNC-system officials tapped seven campuses with traditionally low enrollment to receive special funding and effort to increase the number of students.

Wike said Fayetteville State's enrollment increased 5 percent last year. She said the university still is trying to sort out where the cuts and increases will be allotted but assured a focus on the classroom.

"We tend to put all of our resources where the rubber meets the road -- classroom teaching," she said.

Most officials said their budget decisions would be made independent of the actions of other system schools.

"Each campus is unique," Worsley said. "You have to look at your own situation."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.