Class of 2003 Celebrates Week With Spirit, Entertainment

Starting today, the senior class can escape its stresses by participating in the entertaining social and educational events of Senior Week that senior class officers and marshals have been planning for the past month.

"Senior Week is a time for seniors to forget about looking for jobs, applying to grad school and the poor economy and have fun," said Senior Class President Paymon Rouhanifard.

Although past Senior Weeks primarily consisted of informational events held in the early afternoon, this year's senior class wanted to create an entire week of celebration, said Jon Narveson, chairman of the senior class Special Projects Committee.

"We said, 'Why not make it more than events between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and make it a whole week of spirit?'" he said.

Evolving from the framework of a high school spirit week, each day this week incorporates a different activity, theme and message. "This is definitely one of the most ambitious Senior Weeks that a senior class has ever decided to take on," Narveson said.

Seniors can show their spirit by wearing a senior T-shirt today, dressing retro Tuesday, sporting pajamas Wednesday and putting on a crazy hat Thursday.

"This will be a great time for seniors of all walks of life at Carolina to come together," said Rob Albright, senior class vice president.

Seniors can celebrate from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Polk Place during a concert and at 7:30 p.m. Friday at an outdoor showing of the film "Reality Bites." "It might be a little cold," Albright said, "but it will be a great time for the movie."

Seniors also can take advantage of discounts at Carolina Brewery, East End Oyster & Martini Bar, Linda's Bar & Grill, Ham's of Chapel Hill, Spanky's Restaurant and Top of the Hill by going out to lunch Thursday.

"We want seniors to celebrate being seniors and enjoy the different activities around campus that you wouldn't normally be doing during a normal week," Narveson said.

Senior week not only will be filled with recreation but also information. The class of 2003 can learn about upcoming senior activities and the three class gift options throughout the week. "We are working to get seniors to vote on the class gift on October 30," Albright said.

Through dressing up, going out and having fun, seniors can enjoy their last year at UNC. Narveson said, "Seniors should celebrate being a senior in one of the greatest universities in the country."