Commissioners Decide on Independent APS Audit

The work session, held Monday night in Chapel Hill, allowed citizens to voice their opinions about the shelter and the planned audit. County Manager John Link said the audit will look at accounting practices, customer interaction, budgeting and what else is needed to reopen the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center run by the APS, which closed in September.

The APS of Orange County is the private, nonprofit entity that runs the publicly funded Orange County Animal Shelter.

Several former employees and residents accused the APS of inaccurate accounting practices, misappropriation, secretive decision-making and inadequate responses to citizens' concerns.

County resident Judith Reitman said the APS misrepresents the number of animals treated and misleads residents who adopt animals. Reitman said these concerns show the need for an outside audit. "Few, if any, statistics offered by the APS can stand up under scrutiny," she said.

Reitman and other citizens questioned the budgeting practices of the APS and accused its management of misappropriating public funds.

Orange County resident Elliot Cramer said the problems with "sloppy record-keeping" and inappropriate discretion in decision-making began when the APS came under new management earlier this year. "The APS is acting like a secret society despite its public funding," he said.

Members of the APS board of directors and volunteers defended the organization and welcomed an external audit.

APS board member Suzie Cook said that while the organization is imperfect, it is "willing to open itself up and be evaluated." Cook refuted the allegations directed at APS management.

APS board of directors President Pat Beyle said that the allegations from former employees have "turned ugly and negative" and that the shelter should be recognized for its positive programs like low cost spaying and neutering, veterinary services and dog training.

One area the APS board of directors and others at the forum agreed on was the inadequacy of APS facilities and staff for wildlife care. Both sides agreed the APS is best equipped to care for domestic animals and serve as a shelter, and some said the community would benefit from having a wildlife center much like the one being organized by Bobby Schopler.

Schopler, who said he was fired as the APS veterinarian over management disputes, is asking Orange County to support his center. The commissioners have not yet weighed in on Schopler's request.

Commissioners Chairman Barry Jacobs said that because the county's lease on the APS lot expires soon, the public debate and Schopler's proposal present a "perfect opportunity" for examining the county's options for animal care.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.