Congress Sees Larger Budget, Lower Demand

At the beginning of this semester, Congress had more than $28,500 in its budget for subsequent appropriation funding, which is more than double the amount it had last semester.

The money Congress appropriates comes from the student activity fees paid by students each semester. Subsequent appropriations are funds given on a request basis, often to pay for events not previously planned, such as speakers.

Speaker Tony Larson said that, per semester, undergraduate students pay $11.50 in student activity fees and that graduate students pay $9.50. Eighty percent of the money allocated to Congress -- more than $190,000 last year -- is given out in its annual budget each February.

Larson said one reason Congress has more money to give out this year is because its budget was larger than expected. He said Congress estimates the amount of money it will get from fees for its budget because it changes each semester with the number of students attending UNC.

"We have to guess each year. It comes out that this year that we guessed a little low," Larson said. This allowed Congress to allocate more funds for the subsequent appropriations budget.

Student groups have not responded to the larger budget with more requests. Congress has spent $4,988.99 this semester while it spent $7,415.29 in the same period last year.

Larson said that he is disappointed the money isn't being spent and that groups should take advantage of the money their members paid in activities fees.

Student Body Treasurer Michael Vollmer said he thinks the reason for the lack of requests could be because of the amendments to Title V of the Student Code, which governs the use of student fees. Title V was amended to make groups have treasurers who are certified by the student body treasurer before their request for funds will be looked at by Congress.

Prior to the amendment, student groups were able to get money without certified treasurers.

Vollmer said a misperception about the amount of money Congress gives out might also be contributing to a lack of requests. He said Congress has been operating in debt for the past two sessions and has not had much money to give out to groups.

Larson said Congress wants to spend as much of the budget as possible so students see the result of their fees. "We don't want to hold back on funding."