Daylight-Saving Time End Won't Affect Most Bars

Time switches to 1 a.m. at 2 a.m. Sunday

N.C. law states that all bars must shut down and stop serving alcohol at 2 a.m.

But this Sunday at 2 a.m., clocks will roll back to 1 a.m, leaving some bars questioning whether to continue operation during the extra hour.

Dennis Almond, manager of Linda's Bar & Grill, said the bar will remain open until 2 a.m., declining to comment on if he meant the later 2 a.m. after the time changed. "It's not illegal because the police cannot write a ticket if it is before two o'clock. It's not past hours," Almond said.

Dieter Gualtierr, a manager at La Residence, said a manager had called the Alcoholic Beverage Control store to check on the legal ability for bars to operate during the extra hour Sunday morning.

Gualtierr said that an employee at the ABC store told him it was illegal and that he had not contacted the ABC Commission for confirmation.

"Right now we are treating it like it's illegal and plan to close at the first two o'clock," Gualtierr said.

Ham's, located on West Franklin Street, will remain open during the extra hour Sunday morning, said night manager Brandon Morrison. "Two o'clock is two o'clock," Morrison said.

He said his final decision will depend on the size of the crowd.

Many bar managers in the Chapel Hill area said the issue of staying open another hour hadn't occurred to them.

"It has become a gray area for the bar community," said Peter J. Murawski, manager at WB Yeats Irish Pub.

Murawski said that last year his establishment closed at the first 2 a.m. despite the time change. "Bars usually shut down when the crowd clears anyway," he said.

Kevin Eastin, manager at West End Wine Bar, also said the bar will not remain open any longer than usual. "We've always just closed at 2," Eastin said. "It's never really been an issue."

Top of the Hill decided to shut down its doors the normal time because of safety issues, said manager Chris Thompson. "During the extra hour people have a chance to drink much more, and we want to make sure they have time to get home safe during that hour," Thompson said.

He said that by not acknowledging the extra hour, Top of the Hill could help ensure the well-being of patrons. "It gives people a chance to get home safely."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.