Doctoral Students Request Hooding at Commencement

Ceremony to give more recognition.

Four graduate students recently met with Bernadette Gray-Little, executive associate provost and Commencement committee chairwoman, to discuss the possibility of a "hooding ceremony" for doctoral students independent of the main Commencement.

A hooding ceremony recognizes doctoral students accomplishments by placing the "doctoral hood" on the recipients' shoulders.

Doctoral recipients are recognized individually during the May graduation ceremony.

Branson Page, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, said Chancellor James Moeser suggested the idea of a separate ceremony.

"It is something Chancellor Moeser really wanted to see happen," Page said.

In the past, doctoral recipients might not have received the proper respect during the ceremony, because of the large audience in attendance for the undergraduate ceremony, Page said.

If a new ceremony is implemented, doctoral students would still participate in the main Commencement but would be recognized as a group, rather than individually, said Tim Diette, GPSF Cabinet member.

"This would be a more meaningful use of time for all," he said.

Diette said it is important to show that doctoral recipients are not being "shoved aside" but will be able to have a more meaningful ceremony apart from the main Commencement.

Both Diette and Gray-Little said the major concern over the separate ceremony is not interfering with other department ceremonies that have been developed in previous years.

Diette said the idea is not to "yank (students) out of their departments" but to offer a ceremony with a different focus than the undergraduate ceremony.

At the separate ceremony, doctoral students could be hooded by their advisers and have the opportunity to read the title of their dissertation, enabling more time to be spent on doctoral accomplishments, Diette said.

This would offer a more intimate setting and allow for a "different kind of pep talk," he said.

"I really think that the general feel is very positive, especially once people are educated about the plans," Diette said.

Graduate student Susan Bielmeier, who also met with the Gray-Little, said nothing has been solidified yet.

But organizers are hoping to have the ceremony implemented this year.

The issues that still have to be worked out include establishing interest, support and feasibility, as well as determining who will participate, when and where, Gray-Little said.

Although this is only in the preliminary stages, Branson said many graduate students have heard of the idea and seem positive about the possibility.