Dole Campaigns for Wife, Bush Agenda

Bob Dole's speech was lighthearted and casual as he urged people to get out and vote -- especially for Elizabeth Dole.

"When you go to vote, you take your friends," he said. "If they aren't going to vote the right way, leave them in the car, but take them with you."

Bob Dole took impromptu questions from the audience and painted his wife as the best candidate to represent North Carolina. "I think Elizabeth fits the profile of the kind of person who would work well in the Senate," he said.

Bob Dole ticked off Elizabeth Dole's ability to reach across party lines, her prior leadership experience and her work ethic as qualifications for the position she seeks.

If Elizabeth Dole wins the Senate seat for which she and Democrat Erskine Bowles are vying, Bob Dole says, he is certain voters will be pleased with her performance. "I think Elizabeth will win," he added. "But this is going to be a tough race. It's not a good state for Republicans."

And Bob Dole stressed to his Republican audience that the N.C. race is as much about party power as it is about electing a senator to represent the state.

"If we have 50 (Republican senators) and Vice President (Dick) Cheney -- if we can find him -- we'd have a majority and we'd control all the committees," he said.

The sitting Senate is composed of 49 Republicans, 50 Democrats and one Independent.

Bob Dole emphasized that partisan gridlock has spun out of control and that a Republican majority in the Senate is the only way to ensure President Bush's initiatives will get fair consideration. "(Bush's agenda) might not get passed, but we'd at least get a hearing," he said.

Bob Dole also emphasized that it is in the state's best interest to elect a senator who can work with the administration. "You wouldn't send somebody from Duke to work with officials from Chapel Hill."

He also said it is important to elect an individual who will fully back Bush in his dealings with Iraq, as both Elizabeth Dole and Bowles have pledged to do.

Bob Dole not only addressed foreign policy during his brief stop but addressed domestic issues ranging from the lagging economy to Social Security.

Speaking on the economy, Bob Dole said Elizabeth Dole plans to generate revenue by pushing for tax cuts that would increase consumer spending and allow workers to keep hard-earned pay.

"A lot of people work really hard, make a little money, have some property and they want to give it to their kids, not the government," he said, amid clapping and shouted agreement.

After his speech, Bob Dole said, "We don't agree on every issue, but I'm qualified to speak on top issues."

Bob Dole's motivation for keeping a grueling campaign schedule despite that his name won't appear on a ballot is simple, he says. "I campaign for her because she did it for me," he said. "And I do it for her because I think she's qualified."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.