Former Tar Heels to Play in Cup

UNC has more former players on the team than any other program. Maryland and Old Dominion each have three former players on the roster, and no other school has more than one.

Barber, who played at UNC from 1994-'97, has 80 international caps to her credit and will be making her second World Cup appearance. She and Storrar, the team's starting goalkeeper, both were members of the 1998 U.S. World Cup team that finished eighth in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Storrar, who was at UNC from 1990-'93, has 83 international caps.

Making their first World Cup appearances will be Lingo (31 caps) and McCann (36 caps). Lingo played at UNC from 1999-2001 after sitting out her first two years in Chapel Hill, first as a redshirt player then with a knee injury. McCann played for the Tar Heels from 1997-2000.

All four earned first-team All-America honors as Tar Heels, Barber on three occasions.

Amy Tran, a senior goalkeeper at UNC, was a member of the team that beat India in June to earn a spot in the World Cup field. Tran elected to stay at North Carolina for her senior season rather than joining the national team for the run-up to the World Cup.

The United States will conclude its World Cup preparation with a test match in South Africa on Oct. 28 then will continue on to Australia. There, the team will play in Pool B of the tournament, along with South Africa, Australia, The Netherlands, England, Ireland, Spain and Japan. Pool A includes top-seeded Argentina, China, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Russia, Scotland and Ukraine.