GPSF to Give Town Council Petition Opposing Duplex Ban

The petition, signed by more than 200 graduate and professional students and faculty, expresses the GPSF's concern about a proposed ordinance dealing with duplex housing in the town's comprehensive development plan.

"I think we will see positive results," said GPSF President Branson Page. "I think the council will be receptive to what we have to say."

The proposed ordinance would limit the number of unrelated residents to two in a house and four total for a two-unit duplex. The ordinance also calls for banning the construction of future duplexes in all of Chapel Hill's three residential zones.

"It will potentially affect students of all stripes at this University," said Dan Herman, GPSF vice president of internal affairs. "We don't believe the ordinance will be equitable for all people. With the financial situation that graduate students are in, the option of living with other non-related people is often a financial necessity."

In the petition, GPSF supports aspects of the comprehensive plan that acknowledge the relative lack of affordable housing and voice support for increasing availability of housing for students.

"But there are inconsistencies between the vision of the comprehensive plan and the implementation of the ordinance," Herman said.

"We did not have a problem with the comprehensive plan," he added. "But the ordinance deviates from it and contains portions that would place students in a bind."

Page said he thinks the ordinance is too far-reaching in its restrictions.

"We just want to show that it doesn't make sense to apply restrictions across the board," he said. "We need to look at the issues independently."

With the petition, GPSF Executive Committee members want to prove they understand the ordinance and why it was brought up, Page said.

"I hope our actions will increase communication with the council," he said. "Hopefully they will come up with other options that won't negatively impact such a large portion of the population."

GPSF is working together with the rest of student government to make sure all students are involved, Page said.

"We will confront this issue together," he said.

Herman said that student awareness on issues like this is important.

"Students need to be informed of what's going to impact them," he said. "They need to know there are people out there who are willing to fight for their voice."

Students will have opportunities to express their opinions about the development plan at upcoming meetings.

The Town Council plans to have a public information meeting Thursday and a citizen workshop Saturday.

"We just need to act," Page said. "We encourage all students to get involved with this issue."