Greek Food, Culture Rush Into Chapel Hill

Greek Festival 2002, sponsored by the St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church of Durham and Chapel Hill, was held Friday, Saturday and Sunday at East Chapel Hill High School.

Both attendees and festival organizers said the biggest draw for most festivalgoers was the food.

"All of our stuff is made from scratch," said Father Andrew Koufopoulos of St. Barbara's.

Those who attended dined on traditional Greek food like moussaka, gyros and oven-roasted lamb shanks. All food was cooked and served by parishioners, although professional cooks led the cooking demonstrations.

Assorted fresh Greek pastries were offered as dessert items. Loukoumathes -- fried dough served with syrup and powdered sugar -- were prepared on a display table, allowing attendees to both see and smell the delicacies as they cooked.

"We had a line of people waiting. It's a favorite Greek pastry," said Olimbe Holt, one of the parishioners who worked at the booth.

Beyond culinary offerings, the festival also provided a glimpse into Greek culture and the Greek Orthodox Church.

"We do this to expose the greater Triangle community to our faith, our culture," Koufopoulos said.

Several booths offering Greek jewelry, pottery, music and souvenirs lined the walls of the cafeteria. A book fair offered a variety of literature about the Greek Orthodox faith. Colorful posters featuring scenes of Greece and miniature classical columns served as decoration.

All Things Ukrainian Inc., an online business specializing in Ukrainian artwork, sold its products at the Greek Festival for the second year. John Washinsky, president of the company, is a member of St. Barbara's.

"I like Father Andrew, and I like the people in the church," Washinsky said. "It's a nice atmosphere."

Sales were slower than last year, probably because of the economy, he said. "People are just not spending a lot of money."

Belinda Zayas from Chapel Hill and her mother, Pamela Boan from Tampa, Fla., said they attended the festival mainly for the food but were pleased with the festival's other offerings.

"We were surprised to see all the artwork, Boan said. "It seems to incorporate other stuff besides the food."

Greek dance music played from speakers adjacent to a dance floor. Children jumped and skipped around the open area that also hosted traditional dance performances.

The festival is also a fund-raiser, with proceeds going to the American Red Cross, an East Chapel Hill High School scholarship fund and St. Barbara's building fund for the construction of a new church.

While Chapel Hill residents Barbara and Phil Post said they came to enjoy the food, they also wanted to support the building project. "We really would like to help St. Barbara's," Phil Post said. "We understand the pressures and the needs."

Festival coordinators said they think the event was well-attended. "I think we've had a good turnout," said Demetra Waters, who was in charge of vendors. "We have lots of repeat customers."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.